TransmissionBT created mysterious invisible file system that I can't access in the Web GUI

• I set up TransmissionBT 4.0 through the OMV web gui to download to a shared folder on a hdd (which is NTFS). At first it complained because the shared folder I gave it had funny characters and spaces in the name, but then I got it to work.

When testing it, I found out that somehow Transmission was downloading to a "src/dev-disk-by-label-SOMELABEL" -- which does not correspond to any of my actual filesystems. (the *somelabel* name is actually part of the name of a couple of my filesystem labels but not a full match)
    I don't know much about linux and OMV, but did Transmission create a filesystem in the HDD I gave it as a target shared folder, which is hidden from the Web GUI?

How do I undo this?

if I cd /srv/ I see this extra shared folder label that does not exist in the web gui and to my knowledge I didn't create. How do I find out what hdd it is on, and how do I tell transmission to do what I tell it and not what it magically wants? I hope it didn't destroy any of my actual files.

• /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SOMELABEL is not a filesystem. It is a directory and/or a mountpoint.

/srv is the OMV default root for all hard disk mountpoints.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SOMELABEL is not a filesystem. It is a directory and/or a mountpoint.

/srv is the OMV default root for all hard disk mountpoints.

That's good news. So then it's okay that I don't see it in the file systems or in the shared folders. But the name still doesn't correspond to anything that's currently in my Transmission tab of the OMV web gui.

And I downloaded a test torrent earlier. The files are somewhere on some kind of memory on OMV or a HDD plugged into it. But I looked at all my hdds and it's nowhere to be found. Nothing that I can see inside /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SOMELABEL/ in the cli I can find anywhere on disks.

How do I find out where that directory actually is?
    Is it not possible to find out where an entry inside /srv/ is actually stored on disk?

• I don't use Transmission so I am not familiar with how or where it places files. I use Deluge which offers full user control over where files are placed so I know where they all are.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I don't use Transmission so I am not familiar with how or where it places files. I use Deluge which offers full user control over where files are placed so I know where they all are.

I was wondering why there is only one torrent plugin in the OMV plugins section. There must be more. Okay so where do I find deluge and how do I download it? :)

• There were more.

OMV, in past versions, had many plugins available in the Downloaders section. But beginning with OMV 4 almost all of them have been deprecated in favor of running dockers.

If you can't find a plugin for something within OMV or OMV-Extras, then find a docker for it.

Here are a few guides relating to getting started with Docker on OMV:

OMV + Docker plugin media server (Plex, PlexPy, Ombi, Libresonic, NZBGet, ruTorrent, Sonarr, Radarr, Mylar, and more)

Installation and Setup Videos - Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced

--

• Man I wish these server and router OSes came in preconfigured flavours with tooltips and comments. So the average user could edit instead of start from 0. Now I have to spend 2 hours to learn about docker. Which is good, but at the same time it's horrible UX that cripples adoption from people that want things a little bit closer to the "just works" mantra.

Thanks a lot!

To anyone else reading this thread, I STILL HAVEN'T FOUND OUT HOW TO FIND THAT DIRECTORY INSIDE /SRV/ :)

• To anyone else reading this thread, I STILL HAVEN'T FOUND OUT HOW TO FIND THAT DIRECTORY INSIDE /SRV/ :)

Install a copy of Midnight Commander if you want a decent file manager for the shell.

sudo apt-get install mc

Run mc in the shell to start it.

--

• I figured it out! With some help from the OMV reddit.

So turns out Transmission is really oldschool and can't sanitize paths.
    My shared folder and its underlying file system, at first, had spaces and also weird characters in their names, and it complained with an error that was ofc hard to read because why wouldn't it be.
    Then I changed the paths to not have weird symbols, but the file system drive name still had a space in it, but I could continue successfully.

So Transmission stopped at the first space, saw that that wasn't a valid path, SAID NOTHING, and then created AN ACTUAL FOLDER, inside the /srv/ folder which normally holds the file system links. So I thought it's a magic new file system but it was just using the OMV internal memory.

What's more, I can deduce from those initially hard to read initial errors, that Transmission just runs its commands without any path quotes or sanitizing to the point that whatever is after the space is considered a CLI command too.

Isn't this a good ol' little bobby tables security risk?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!