Budget build under 215$

• Hello
    I want to build a OMV nas under 215$. These are things I am hoping to achieve with this build:
    1- I want to access my media files on my laptop and tablet. I can download the from nas to my device and then watch it. No need for transcoding at the source.

2- I should be able to download torrents and other files directly onto the nas.

3- I need decent performance while file transferring over the wifi.although I will connect the nas to the ethernet port of my router but still i would like to download the files from nas to my device wirelessly.

Please suggest a build under my budget. I already have a 2tb 3.5 hdd and 1tbx2 external hdd. I would like to use one 2tb drive and single 1 tb external drive with this build for now. But in near future i am thinking of buying an another 2 tb 3.5 inch hdd. So please advise accordingly

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk

• I need decent performance while file transferring over the wifi

Wifi is shared medium so if you live in an urban area this depends mostly on your neighbors if you can't escape the overcrowded 2.4 GHz band.

I second @'Adoby''s recommendation (less disks, less hassles) and would recommend to do your fist test with your client connected via Ethernet (less unknown influences, less confusion). Only after this works well test the wireless connection between router and client. A decent machine like such an ODROID HC2 will easily saturate Gigabit Ethernet (around 100 MB/s when copying with Windows Explorer or MacOS' Finder) and the only bottlenecking factor then will be your wireless setup (or if the router is really old its own (Fast) Ethernet ports).

• @tkaiser I live in a pretty secluded area with almost no neighbours with wi-fi around.And also I have router with 5 GHz support. And can you tell me if need to add another hdd, will i have to buy an extra hc2 for that hdd? and will two hc2's work in conjuction?

• And can you tell me if need to add another hdd, will i have to buy an extra hc2 for that hdd? and will two hc2's work in conjuction?

One HDD can be inserted in an HC2 and another disk can be connected externally via USB2 (usually used to receive versioned backups). To add more disks you need to add more HC2 devices then. And no, there is no easy way to let them appear as one single large disk compared to some setup where a bunch of disks is connected to just one OMV host.

I hope @Adoby links to some of his posts where he outlines his approach with multiple HC2.

• One HDD can be inserted in an HC2 and another disk can be connected externally via USB2 (usually used to receive versioned backups). To add more disks you need to add more HC2 devices then. And no, there is no easy way to let them appear as one single large disk compared to some setup where a bunch of disks is connected to just one OMV host.

I hope @Adoby links to some of his posts where he outlines his approach with multiple HC2.

Okay that sounds alright. BTW i placed order for hc2. Looking forward to it. Thanks for the help

• Offizieller Beitrag

I blab about my 5xHC2 setup all over. It works fine and I have fun with it. :D

Here are some links to threads where I blab a little extra:
    My new NAS: Odroid HC2 and Seagate Ironwolf 12TB.
    File managing within network to server
    Is the following idea worth setting up?

You can start with one HC2 and your current 2TB HDD. And upgrade later to a bigger HDD or to another HC2. Easy to expand.

HC2 easily handles 12 or 14 TB 3.5" SATA HDDs...

• @Adoby Its a setup worth showing off . And i was wondering if its possible to use port multiplier to add multiple hdd to the same port? And also if possible can you share some images of your setup? I would love to see that.

• And i was wondering if its possible to use port multiplier to add multiple hdd to the same port?

This might work since the USB-to-SATA bridge on the HC2 is a JMS578. Most external USB drive boxes for up to 5 HDD are made up of a JMicron USB-to-SATA bridge (JMS567 or JMS578) with a JMB575 PM behind. But maybe there's special parametrization needed or something like that so I would ask the manufacturer. They possess two JMB575 now for tests with their Gemini lake thingy: https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=32884

But If I would want to add a bunch of disks to something that small like a SBC I would always think about enclosure and power supply first, most probably then ending up with a Mini-ITX chassis and an el cheapo Mini-ITX board like ASRock J4105-ITX (two 'native' SATA ports and 2 behind a slightly bottlenecked ASM1061 PCIe controller).

• If I would go the DIY route then most probably with a Gemini Lake Intel SoC like J4105 (IMO best performance/price ratio). See hp n40l replacement for example. In the past I usually bought HP MicroServers for small setups (ECC RAM is IMO a requirement for businesses).

But I'm really not into this any more since the times when I built servers are long ago (too annoyed -- it's better if monitoring alerts end up at the contractor who built and is responsible for the hardware :) )

• Offizieller Beitrag

@Adoby @tkaiser What if i go via pc building route? What can be built under 215$ budget with decent performance?

No idea.

For a plain NAS you don't need much to get good performance. Ask around if some friend or relative have an old discarded PC in the cellar. Offer $10 for it. Keyboard, mouse or monitor are not needed. And buy more disk for the money you save. Just make sure the old PC supports SATA drives and has a network card. Preferably a GbE card. 2-4 GB RAM is fine, More is great.

A new PC build could make sense if you intend to do a lot of transcoding or run a lot of server software or VMs.

• Ask around if some friend or relative have an old discarded PC in the cellar. Offer $10 for it

And be prepared to pay a lot more than these $10 each month on electricity. ;)

A friend of mine ended up with an used older server with lots of 'real' server parts which led to a nice 500 bucks increase on the electricity bill after the first year :)

• @tkaiser @Adoby I don't seem to find J4105 soc for sale in my country. Can you recommend something else? I did find this. But i don't know if this can handle the job? Actually I am having second thoughts on the economic viability of the odroid. I placed order for hc 2 for 95$ from my local odroid dealer. I think going with diy route is more sensible as i can add more disks to that in future, while using hc2 will be more expensive as every time i add a new disk i will have to purchase a new hc2.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The HC2 route makes more sense with very big/expensive HDDs. With small HDDs it becomes too expensive, I agree.

But you save on power and it is very convenient, efficient and flexible and it scales very well. Total price per TB with very big NAS quality HDDs becomes pretty decent. If I add another HC2 it would have a high quality 12-14 TB NAS HDD.

Also with several HC2s it makes sense to use a dedicated PSU for all HC2s. That saves a little.

There is often a heavy markup if you buy locally. I bought four HC2 directly from Korea and managed to get a good price, even without VAT and customs fees. See the Hardkernel shop.

• Offizieller Beitrag

@Adoby Its a setup worth showing off . And i was wondering if its possible to use port multiplier to add multiple hdd to the same port? And also if possible can you share some images of your setup? I would love to see that.

;)

I posted some images in this thread:

My new NAS: Odroid HC2 and Seagate Ironwolf 12TB.

• @tkaiser

@Adoby

Hey guys how's it going?

UPDATE: I bought odroid xu4.

I went for xu4 because it has two usb 3 ports/gigabit ethernet and same performance as hc2.
    Now i want to use external usb hdd with my xu4. But i get a beeping sound from the board once i connect the hdd to it. It is may be because i am using only a 2A power supply while the company recommends to use 4Amps. So as far as i know there are two things that can be done here to solve this problem. One is to buy a new power supply and the other one is to get a powered usb hub. I am more inclined towards the second option as it allow me to add more than two usb hdd if required. But i am not sure if i should use a powered usb hub with xu4 as i have read on internet about issues such as back-powering with external usb hub. What's your take?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!