Help with OpenVPN, NGINX and other containers. Pretty please!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Help with OpenVPN, NGINX and other containers. Pretty please!

New

Dear Community,

I am getting desperate. I've spent a week messing, tinkering and reading the forums and need some guidance. Here is what I am looking todo:

I would like Transmission, NZBGET and other containers to route all traffic through a VPN that has a kill switch.

I have setup Transmission-OpenVPN and it works great! I have setup a container for NZBGet and set it to use the transmission-openvpn container for it's network using "--net=container:transmissionopenvpn". I made sure nzbget worked before I turned on NGiNX and set NZBGet to use the Transmission-OpenVPN container for it's network. Once I set NZBGet to use the transmission-openvpn network I could not get to the NZBGet webpage. This I was expecting. So then I setup a container for NGINX and created a separate config file in nginx/site-configs/nzbget.conf:

Source Code

1. server {
      2. listen 6789;
      3. listen [::]:6789;
      4. location /nzbget/ {
      5. proxy_pass http://xxx.xxx.1.192:6789;
      6. }
      7. }
      When I go to xxx.xxx.24.1:6789/nzbget/ which is the NGiNX server I get "Page 500".

Few questions:
      1.) Do I need to even use NGINX for this setup? Is there an easier way?
      2.) What can I look at to troubleshoot NGINX. I like Docker but I find it hard to troubleshoot as I cannot log into a command line to the containers.
      3.) Is my NGINX configurtation correct? Anyone have an example NGINX config they can send me?
      -Agster

Intel NUC 6CAYH, 1.5ghz Celeron, 8gbram, 10tb spinning rust.
    • New

So just an update. I have an NZBGet in a container, Transmission-openvpn in a container and NGINX in a container. They are all working find and I setup NZBGet to work through NGINX. xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/NZBGet/

Yay!

Here is what I am confused about and having trouble wrapping my head around. If I set the NZBGet Container to use the network of the Transmission-OpenVPN container I have no idea how to set NGINX to proxy to that since its on a Docker Network which I have no idea what the IP will be.

Am I missing something?
      -Agster

Intel NUC 6CAYH, 1.5ghz Celeron, 8gbram, 10tb spinning rust.