mergfs balance on SnapRaid Question

• OMV 4.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• mergfs balance on SnapRaid Question

Hello,
      i would like to create a Snapraid with 4 8TB HDD`S
      3 Data 1 Parity.
      It woul be nice, if there is a possibility to balance the Data on my pool.
      What i understand is, that the tool mergerfs-tools/ is a balancer that can handle this.
      Does this Tool run automaticly in the "Background" or is it triggerd via a cron-job ?

Would be very nice if someone could explain this.
    • mergerfs.balance can be run from the commandline to balance drives. It does not run in the background. It could be run on cron, but a better choice would be to use a mergerfs create policy that keeps the drives balanced once you have them initially in balance.
      OMV 4.x - ASRock Rack C2550D4I - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380
    • gderf wrote:

mergerfs.balance can be run from the commandline to balance drives. It does not run in the background. It could be run on cron, but a better choice would be to use a mergerfs create policy that keeps the drives balanced once you have them initially in balance.
      Can you pls explain which policy i should take ?
      So do i understand this right:
      first i have to choose a policy which will take always the most free space hard-drive
      i move all my date to my snapraid => the drive will not be balanced cause i will move a lot of data at once
      then i have to run the balance-plugin => to get the drives in balance

since then i will only move smaller amounts of data, so the policy will trigger and keep my drives in balance - is this correct ?
    • First off, leave SnapRAID out of the conversation. It isn't relevant. This all about mergerfs or the Union Filesystem plugin if you are using it.

For a mergerfs policy you could choose Most Free Space or Existing Path Most Free Space depending on your needs. If you set this up properly first, moving data into the pool would try to balance it automatically.

You can run the mergerfs.balance tool at any time. If the pool is already balanced, nothing should happen.
      OMV 4.x - ASRock Rack C2550D4I - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380