Boinc on your home server?

• Hi everyone!
    I was wandering if I'm the only one that is thinking to install boinc on my home server since al 99% of the time is in idle.
    I already have it on my computer desktop, and I think that it would be cool to have it on the other computer too.
    Of course I won't give it too much CPU (20%/30%, not more), but it still something!

for who doesn't know Boinc: here's a link to the project I like: https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Blabla ()

• Sadly I didn't had time for my NAS in this few months :(
    The installation is easy, but I don't know how to control how much resource give to boinc. I would like it to stay between 10 and 20% of CPU.

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• Thanks! I'll give it a try ASAP.

• Here is how I got mine working
    had to plug away to get it to work...but it is crunching WU

From this site:https://unix.stackexchange.com…ros-and-cons-of-ia32-libs
    sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 <- to add multiarch capability
    sudo apt-get install libc6:i386 <- install the i386 libs for processing WU, without it, BOINC and Seti@home fails instantly

from this website: https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Installing_BOINC#Linux
    sudo apt-get install libstdc++6 libstdc++5 freeglut3

it gives replacement packages, install them

install BOINC as the page above

sudo apt-get install boinc-client boinc-manager

sudo chown -R boinc:boinc /var/lib/boinc-client
    sudo chown boinc:boinc /usr/bin/boinc
    sudo chown boinc:boinc /usr/bin/boincmgr
    sudo chown boinc:boinc /usr/bin/boinccmd

make sure you edit
    /var/lib/boinc-client/remote_hosts.cfg
    with the ip of the computer that will be remotely controlling the instance on the server
    and edit /var/lib/boinc-client/gui_rpc_auth.cfg
    with a password (doesn't have to be uber strong unless you want it to be, mine is 123)

To manually attach to a project
    boinccmd --project_attach <url> <key of your account>

https://boinc.netsoft-online.c…150e4ff014f12199a6&html=1

• Hi everyone - WarHawk8080 it looks like you are running it native as opposed to under Docker, I have an oDroid XU4 and it is running OMV v4(.x) but I am having a whale of a time translating "raw" Docker config into OMV Docker? TechnoDadLife, I've watched all your tutorials on pretty much every OMV Docker thing you've done but I can't get this one to stick. Any ideas, ladies and gents? Thanks so much

• Hi everyone - WarHawk8080 it looks like you are running it native as opposed to under Docker, I have an oDroid XU4 and it is running OMV v4(.x) but I am having a whale of a time translating "raw" Docker config into OMV Docker? TechnoDadLife, I've watched all your tutorials on pretty much every OMV Docker thing you've done but I can't get this one to stick. Any ideas, ladies and gents? Thanks so much

No need to translate. You can also run the commands from CLI. You can also use docker-compose.The container will be visible afterwards in the Docker-gui plugin.

Ah you are correct BTech...I am running it natively forgive me for not mentioning that it is not running in a docker

And thank you macom for translating it for being able to run in a docker (I didn't run mine in a docker because I don't know docker all that well[but running it as a non-root user "boinc" user seems ok])

• No need to translate. You can also run the commands from CLI. You can also use docker-compose.The container will be visible afterwards in the Docker-gui plugin.

For me the docker compose fails or get stuck at ..

22-Jan-2020 21:54:19 [---] Setting up GUI RPC socket
    dir_open: Could not open directory 'slots' from '/var/lib/boinc'.

Any luck getting past this?

Here is my compose file:

• Hi, there's an official docker client container on github: here

The Docker Compose file is towards the end:

I have not tried on OMV because it is on my backup server, but on Unraid it works perfectly.

• Hi, there's an official docker client container on github: here

The Docker Compose file is towards the end:

I have not tried on OMV because it is on my backup server, but on Unraid it works perfectly.

I tried this if you look above. I need to see it working on OMV with any modifications you made.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!