Wifi adapters support

• I want to build a custom NAS with OMV but I need a Wifi adapter because I can't use cables. Can I just intall any Wifi adapter that has Linux drivers?

I was thinking of buying either one of these Wifi adapters. Are there any recommendation in tems of compatibility with OMV?

• TP-Link AC1300 Draadloze Dual Band PCI Express Adapter Archer T6E
    • Edimax AC600 Wi-Fi Dual-Band High Gain USB Adapter
    • Edimax AC600 Wi-Fi Dual-Band Directional High Gain USB Adapter
    • Asus USB-AC68 Wi-Fi adapter
    • Asus PCE-AC88
    • Asus PCE-AC56
    • Asus PCE-AC55BT

Thanks so much for your help ^^

• Offizieller Beitrag

The latest back ports kernel is 4.19. It shouldn't be long until the 4.20 upgrade is available on OMV but, as far as I can tell, it's not available at this time.

The backports kernel is the next version of Debian's kernel. The backports kernel in OMV 4.x is the Debian Buster kernel which has stabilized on 4.19. So, OMV 4.x will probably never get a newer kernel than 4.19.

I need a Wifi adapter because I can't use cables.

It might be easier to use a wireless bridge.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• It might be easier to use a wireless bridge.

Probably true but I must insist on using a wireless NIC. I did a bit more research and only the 2 Edimax and Asus PCE-AC55BT card support Linux. For Asus PCE-AC55BT (and the B1 version) it's unclear which version of LInux it supports. I suspect Edimax has mediocre quality at best. Maybe I need to look into those Alhpa cards.
    It would be very helpful if there would be a "supported wifi NICS" list for OMV.

• It would be very helpful if there would be a "supported wifi NICS" list for OMV.

This would be something Debian would provide.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I did a bit more research and only the 2 Edimax and Asus PCE-AC55BT card support Linux. For Asus PCE-AC55BT (and the B1 version) it's unclear which version of LInux it supports.

I have a TP-link ac1300 and it uses the Broadcom BCM4360 chip and that is supported by Debian 9 (OMV 4.x) - https://wiki.debian.org/wl

It would be very helpful if there would be a "supported wifi NICS" list for OMV.

Normally we try to talk people out of using wireless for a NAS. Since OMV is meant to be run headless, most users should be able to put the NAS near a place where it can be wired. But OMV is Debian which means it supports whatever Debian supports. Here is Debian's supported wifi adapter page - https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Thanks for your comments so far. Unfortunately, the Debian wifi compatibility list isn't much help. It's mostly chipsets and the mentioned models are either really old or not availlable. I wish I could just use a ethernet cable but this is simply not an option. I noticed that there are some good adapters that have unofficial ways of making it work but only from a higher kernel version. So I'm still left in the dust here :/. All I need is one good wifi adapter. The hardware interface doesn't matter (m.2 (key E), PCI-E, USB).

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are a few options you may not be thinking about.
    (The follow links are examples only. This is not an endorsement for these products.)

1. A WiFi Range Extender with an Ethernet port.
    2. Power line adapters.
    3. A wireless router used as a "media bridge". (Do you have an extra wireless router laying around?)
    Since all consumer routers don't support wireless bridging, this can a tricky option. While routers will layer, one behind the other, running two separate IP networks won't work. You'd need to "bridge" your server into the same IP network with your clients, to have access to network shares.
    4. Wireless Routers using a "Mesh" topology. This can be expensive and you'd have to co-locate one router were you could run an Ethernet cable to a hard wired port. Certain models of Asus Router support what they call AI-Mesh (scroll to the bottom). These ASUS models, if bought used or refurb'ed, can be had for reasonable prices but two would be needed.

If I couldn't get an older wireless router to act as a bridge, with costs considered, I'd probably go with option 1.

• Thanks for your comprehensive solutions. I already tried power line adapters with a Devolo 1200+ (costs ~€120) but it gave me 6MB/s top so I send it back. I don't care about the costs as long as it fits within my budget and gives me the best possible speeds for the money. Wireless bridging seems to make the most sense of off your list. Still, even though I really appreciate the list of possible solutions provided, why do I get the feeling that installing a wireless NIC is something people want to talk me out of? Are there simply no good adapters? Or is it difficult? Small change of sucess? I don't mind tinkering with it.

I did a quick search and found two devices for wireless briding:
    - AVM FRITZ! WLAN Repeater 1750E Edition International
    - Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC PRO
    Comparison between the two: https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/compare/462457;427212/
    Technically these are AP's, not routers, but I don't see why they need routing functionality. As far as I know it works on the data link layer from the OSI model. Wireless briding should create a different LAN segment, not a additional LAN.

• why do I get the feeling that installing a wireless NIC is something people want to talk me out of?

Since useless?

An OMV NAS is operated headless, you can place it anywhere you want so simply move it next to a switch, then use a wired connection and you're done. Then OMV bases on Debian, Debian focuses on free software while (the performant) wireless adapters all involve proprietary closed-sourced firmware files.

And if you want wireless performance you need to dig deep, get an understanding of what's important (5GHz band, as much spatial streams as possible --> as much good antennas as possible and MIMO, not only focusing on bandwidth but also on latency, and so on) so you end up becoming a network expert. And as such you will also end up using a wired connection anyway if it's about the NAS use case.

The vendor claims about wireless performance are all BS (they all add meaningless signal rates in a bizarre way to show 'speed classes' like 1350 Mbps --> 867ac+450n which is just plain BS since those signal rates are meaningless anyway and you can't simply add them) so once you dig deeper into this area you forget about Wi-Fi pretty soon with the NAS use case. A '1350 Mbps' wireless connection performs magnitudes lower than good old Gigabit Ethernet where the nominal speed today almost everywhere is also the real speed.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Technically these are AP's, not routers, but I don't see why they need routing functionality.

I don't want to cloud what has already been posted but there is a blog here explaining Ubiquiti AC Pro as a bridge, there is also some information from Ruckus explaining Bridge and Mesh options in wifi. But with both of these options, Ubiquiti and Ruckus you may require one of their switches/controllers.
    You make an interesting point re the Devolo, I use TP Link from upstairs to down, but the connection is based upon the electrical wiring. I bought mine quite some ago and they have a max connection of 600Mbps on average I get 125, that is sufficient, but 6Mbps, either the device was faulty or there is a problem/issue with the electrical wiring.

EDIT: Re wireless adaptors Panda Wireless

• 6Mbps

Above it's 8 times more (6MB/s) which should be more than what is achievable with those Panda thingies you linked to. 2.4GHz results in inferior performance anyway, only the 'N600 Dual Band 300Mbps Wireless 802.11n' adapter might run with Debian 9 ('latest version of Linux distributions' whatever that means. But it's the RT5572 chipset and as such one of the better supported chips on Linux) and those 300Mbps are pure marketing BS as always: https://www.speedguide.net/faq…ife-speed-of-wireless-374

• Offizieller Beitrag

Above it's 8 times more (6MB/s)

??????? The 6Mbps I quoted was in relation to the Devolo 1200+ and as for those Panda thingies the OP asked for a possible wifi adaptor, those Panda thingies would probably be a waste of money and the best solution would be Ubiquiti or Ruckus.

• The 6Mbps I quoted was

6MB/s

That's 8 times more than 6 Mbps. Anyway, the 6MB/s @kledder reported are a really nice throughput value compared to many real world wireless NAS throughputs (since those signal rates used in advertising like '300 Mbps' or '600 Mbps' are always just marketing BS)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately, the Debian wifi compatibility list isn't much help. It's mostly chipsets and the mentioned models are either really old or not availlable

Did you see my comment about the tp-link ac1300? It is on your first list and on the debian compatibility list. I have one but it is in my daughter's windows box.

why do I get the feeling that installing a wireless NIC is something people want to talk me out of? Are there simply no good adapters? Or is it difficult? Small change of sucess?

Because most people don't use them because wifi performance is terrible in most cases. The less people using them means less help you are going to find.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I already tried power line adapters with a Devolo 1200+ (costs ~€120) but it gave me 6MB/s top so I send it back.

Power line was worth a mention, without going into details. The performance of these things can be reduced by a number of variables to include surge suppressors (may clip or attenuate their signal), intermod' distortion from electric motors and line noise from other sources.

Are there simply no good adapters? Or is it difficult? Small change of sucess? I don't mind tinkering with it.

I think the answer is: "All of the above".
    As you see there are a number of opinions but they all boil down to a lack of performance, the huge number of variables involved with wireless (to include your home environment) and other "X" factors. For example, setting Debian aside, would a given wireless PCI adapter be compatible with your PC hardware? (There are no guarantees. Keep that in mind and buy from a vendor that allows returns.)
    Clients on wireless? No problem. Stone cold reliability for a client is not a big deal. On the other hand, most users on this forum agree that a solid connection to a NAS is highly desired. A "solid connection" and "wireless" are conflicting terms.

If you want to go the route of a PCI adapter, @ryecoaaron has already pointed out a card on the supported list - the TP-link ac1300.

Otherwise, @tkaiser 's suggestion of collocating the NAS with the router (or moving the router to where the NAS will be) costs nothing, it will work and with wired Ethernet, performance will be at it's best.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!