Simplifying The OMV Configuration Backup and Restore Process

• Offizieller Beitrag

That said . . . is there a better option for step by step? Just trying to get the learning process moving in the right direction here.

Why did you give up on booting from a thumb-drive, or other flash device connected to a USB port? Many users boot servers from USB interfaces and/or thumb-drives, to include @ryecoaaron.

While USB imaging is an off-line process (most are), there are very few ways to recover faster from a failed boot drive, and none that I know of that are easier. Simple, up-to-date, step-by-step instructions for imaging a USB spare already exist.

• Why did you give up on booting from a thumb-drive . . .

Actually, I haven't. Not sure I can really explain the method to my madness. I am doing things both ways because . . .

• I have two brand new Kingston 120gb SSD and . . .
    • I have yet to order a few more 3.0 USB drives

Even though I exhibited confusion earlier, I have been wanting very badly to learn the guts of things using both methods. So, I figured I would setup both means just for the experience. Also, with SSD method being tried first I would not have to reinstall the OS onto a thumb drive right off the bat. That way I can learn a little more about Clonezilla and Linux. I am still sliding strongly in the USB direction because of the simplicity of cloning using a Windows PC. If I had any reservations at all regarding USB it would be relative to the SSD being a better option for Plex deployment - unless - I do not yet correctly understand Plex via USB vs Plex via SSD. Which is entirely possible. :thumbup:

Thanks, Kai :thumbup:

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Lot's of users have Plex and still boot from USB thumb-drives, or small USB connected SSD's (in the 16GB to 32GB range). The only issue that would need to be resolved, to prevent filling up a relatively small boot drive, would be relocating Plex's metadata to a data drive.

(In a beginners guide, I couldn't afford to get into the in's and out's of specific add-on's. There are way too many.)

• Lot's of users have Plex and still boot from USB thumb-drives, or small USB connected SSD's (in the 16GB to 32GB range). The only issue that would need to be resolved, to prevent filling up a relatively small boot drive, would be relocating Plex's metadata to a data drive.

(In a beginners guide, I couldn't afford to get into the in's and out's of specific add-on's. There are way too many.)

Thanks flmaxey. That, plus the rest of this thread, pretty much gives me all the answers I could need. My intention is to keep posting as to the results of my experimenting - not that I can add anything to the expertise of the forum - but rather, maybe I'll comprise a few step by step docs. I respect you folk's patience.

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you get SSD to USB adapters, you could image those SSD's in the same manner as a Thumb-drive. (But the image file would be large, 120GB, and it would take a few hours to read and write.) Or, with both SSD's left connected to the server, Rsync could be used to mirror the boot drive to the backup from time to time.

SSD's make great boot drives for desktop clients where their performance makes a real difference, and where client data is stored on a NAS.
    Storing most or all client data on your NAS, keeps the clients local drive storage small and within the storage capacity of a 120GB SSD. (That is, if you're not a gamer. :) ) The bonus to this approach is that full image/file client backups are small and fast, and quick to restore if needed.

There are many ways to backup a boot drive, but few that are truly simple. Since memory fades over time (when things are going well), I tend to go with the KISS principle to help a bit when things are not going well.

• If you get SSD to USB adapters, you could . . . quick to restore if needed.

There are many ways to backup a boot drive, but few that are truly simple. Since memory fades over time (when things are going well), I tend to go with the KISS principle to help a bit when things are not going well.

Thanks flmaxey. Good info. Nope, not a gamer. This thread has been productive; hopefully for others also, who wish to weed through it. My initial impatience was due to not being able to see the KISS principle. Now the KISS choices are apparent despite wanting them earlier. Even though my OP has been some time ago I would think more time would have been spent barreling into things and suffering various consequences. I like to know where I'm going before starting something.

• I've been working on some things and have run into a couple confusing oddities.

Not ready to go to USB just yet, due to remapping and exporting a whole bunch of backup/sync jobs.

Anyway, I got my feet wet with Clonezilla and did a SSD OMV4 OS clone on the new build NAS machine via a Clonezilla Live CD. As I was trying to see if the OS would boot, via the clone, I ran into a few things that confuse me about Linux. I was just wondering if I could gain some clarity from you experienced Linux folks. I realize this isn't a Linux forum but since I was doing things for the purpose of learning OMV4, I would be safe in asking for guidance on this forum versus starting a new account at Linux forums.

• After cloning I decided to boot to the Bios using the original OS SSD and take a look at everything. I left the cloned SSD and the WDBlue 4TB plugged in as well. When in the bios the only drives that could be seen were the Kingston OS SSD and the CD/DVD. I scoured the UEFI for a way to see/or add the cloned SSD and the WD Blue drives. Couldn't locate them anywhere. Is that typical of a Linux environment; and why?
    • One time during my experimenting I tried to boot with just a Kingston SSD OS. Nothing would happen except for a prompt line saying something about the WD Blue 4TB drive; of which wasn't even plugged in. Linux must have been calling on it for some reason. Is that typical of a Linux environment; and why?

Even though all is running fine and both the Original and Cloned OS SSD's boot okay I want to make sure that the oddities (odd to me anyway) are not faults of my setup. My next step is learning a clone/backup, then maybe a restore, using Clonezilla within OMV4.

• Oops . . . I guess those were the wrong questions to ask. :D

• Offizieller Beitrag

Oops . . . I guess those were the wrong questions to ask.

Not really the wrong questions but they are bios/uefi issues that probably aren't caused by the OS. So, unless someone has that same board, not many people will know the answer. I will say that most OSes would get confused by two hard drives that are clones of each (same filesystem labels and uuids) being plugged in at the same time if they are supposed to mount one of them.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Not really the wrong questions but . . .

Understood.

But additionally, any idea why the WD Blue 4TB doesn't show up as a drive anywhere in the bios since it is the drive storing data that OMV4 calls upon for disks, shares, SMB etc.? This is the first bios I have where I haven't seen all the drives. I was thinking it had something to do with OMV4 and Linux (because I don't know that much about Linux). So, do you think the 4TB issue might be Mobo related also?

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is the first bios I have where I haven't seen all the drives. I was thinking it had something to do with OMV4 and Linux

If BIOS doesn't see the drive, OMV can't see it. BIOS (basic input output system) is the code that presents various hardware resources (like the drive) to the operating system (OMV/Debian). BIOS loads before the operating system is even a consideration. (If you remember, you did tests where BIOS came up, without anything connected).

Perhaps there's something wrong with the drive..? You, of all people, know that hardware can fail right out of the box or shortly thereafter.
    You could hook the drive up to a client, just to see if it's recognized and if you use a free utility (like crystal mark ) you can check the drives SMART status and attributes.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!