Simplifying The OMV Configuration Backup and Restore Process

• Okay, I'll give things another shot here in a bit.
      Thanks, Kai :thumbup:

MY OMV OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 4.1.13-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22. (Techno Dad Life OMV virtual installation videos as installation guide.) OMV OS on an 8GB virtual drive with 3 each 16GB data drives. Non RAID. Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 2-way syncing onto 2 external drives (very nice EASY backup solution).

My offering to the tech world: The great thing about being a NOOB is - You'll always be a NOOB - because every day you'll learn something that you didn't know an hour earlier, and sometimes - many times over, all in the same day. Someday you may grow old but you'll never be too old or too smart to learn something NOO. That said . . . pay it forward.
    • Kai wrote:

That said . . . is there a better option for step by step? Just trying to get the learning process moving in the right direction here.

Why did you give up on booting from a thumb-drive, or other flash device connected to a USB port? Many users boot servers from USB interfaces and/or thumb-drives, to include @ryecoaaron.

While USB imaging is an off-line process (most are), there are very few ways to recover faster from a failed boot drive, and none that I know of that are easier. Simple, up-to-date, step-by-step instructions for imaging a USB spare already exist.

Video Guides :!: New User Guide :!: Docker Guides :!: Pi-hole in Docker
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing.
    • flmaxey wrote:

Why did you give up on booting from a thumb-drive . . .
      Actually, I haven't. Not sure I can really explain the method to my madness. I am doing things both ways because . . .
      1. I have two brand new Kingston 120gb SSD and . . .
      2. I have yet to order a few more 3.0 USB drives
      Even though I exhibited confusion earlier, I have been wanting very badly to learn the guts of things using both methods. So, I figured I would setup both means just for the experience. Also, with SSD method being tried first I would not have to reinstall the OS onto a thumb drive right off the bat. That way I can learn a little more about Clonezilla and Linux. I am still sliding strongly in the USB direction because of the simplicity of cloning using a Windows PC. If I had any reservations at all regarding USB it would be relative to the SSD being a better option for Plex deployment - unless - I do not yet correctly understand Plex via USB vs Plex via SSD. Which is entirely possible. :thumbsup:

MY OMV OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 4.1.13-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22. (Techno Dad Life OMV virtual installation videos as installation guide.) OMV OS on an 8GB virtual drive with 3 each 16GB data drives. Non RAID. Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 2-way syncing onto 2 external drives (very nice EASY backup solution).

My offering to the tech world: The great thing about being a NOOB is - You'll always be a NOOB - because every day you'll learn something that you didn't know an hour earlier, and sometimes - many times over, all in the same day. Someday you may grow old but you'll never be too old or too smart to learn something NOO. That said . . . pay it forward.
    • Lot's of users have Plex and still boot from USB thumb-drives, or small USB connected SSD's (in the 16GB to 32GB range). The only issue that would need to be resolved, to prevent filling up a relatively small boot drive, would be relocating Plex's metadata to a data drive.

(In a beginners guide, I couldn't afford to get into the in's and out's of specific add-on's. There are way too many.)

• flmaxey wrote:

Lot's of users have Plex and still boot from USB thumb-drives, or small USB connected SSD's (in the 16GB to 32GB range). The only issue that would need to be resolved, to prevent filling up a relatively small boot drive, would be relocating Plex's metadata to a data drive.

(In a beginners guide, I couldn't afford to get into the in's and out's of specific add-on's. There are way too many.)
      Thanks flmaxey. That, plus the rest of this thread, pretty much gives me all the answers I could need. My intention is to keep posting as to the results of my experimenting - not that I can add anything to the expertise of the forum - but rather, maybe I'll comprise a few step by step docs. I respect you folk's patience.

• If you get SSD to USB adapters, you could image those SSD's in the same manner as a Thumb-drive. (But the image file would be large, 120GB, and it would take a few hours to read and write.) Or, with both SSD's left connected to the server, Rsync could be used to mirror the boot drive to the backup from time to time.

SSD's make great boot drives for desktop clients where their performance makes a real difference, and where client data is stored on a NAS.
      Storing most or all client data on your NAS, keeps the clients local drive storage small and within the storage capacity of a 120GB SSD. (That is, if you're not a gamer. :) ) The bonus to this approach is that full image/file client backups are small and fast, and quick to restore if needed.

There are many ways to backup a boot drive, but few that are truly simple. Since memory fades over time (when things are going well), I tend to go with the KISS principle to help a bit when things are not going well.

• flmaxey wrote:

If you get SSD to USB adapters, you could . . . quick to restore if needed.

There are many ways to backup a boot drive, but few that are truly simple. Since memory fades over time (when things are going well), I tend to go with the KISS principle to help a bit when things are not going well.
      Thanks flmaxey. Good info. Nope, not a gamer. This thread has been productive; hopefully for others also, who wish to weed through it. My initial impatience was due to not being able to see the KISS principle. Now the KISS choices are apparent despite wanting them earlier. Even though my OP has been some time ago I would think more time would have been spent barreling into things and suffering various consequences. I like to know where I'm going before starting something.