Questions concerning [How To] Install Pi-Hole in Docker

• Offizieller Beitrag

I’m not sure what you mean by IPV6. I don’t use it. All devices in the house (except the servers) use the Pi-hole address for DNS. For iPad/iPhone you have to set the DNS manually from the WiFi tab of your settings. Tap the little blue i with a circle around it and then tap on the Configure DNS. Don’t use a second DNS address thinking you will need it when you leave the house. Each WiFi you join will have its own DNS server supplied from the network’s router.

• Unfortunately I still don't get unbound to work after I changed the DNS in my iOs devices to the pi hole address.

I configured unbound & pi-hole as described through the following guides from crashtest:
    [How To] Install Pi-Hole in Docker: Update 02/25/19 - Adding Unbound, a Recursive DNS Server

My current pi-hole DNS setup:

If I activate OpenDNS and Cloudflare as DNS upstream server, Pi-hole will work without any problems.

My unbound config file looks like the following:

What I really don't understand is that the clients have internet access but I don't can load any page through Safari. But Telegram for example is able to send out text messages.

Would be real cool to get that to work. Think there is still some minor changes missing. But I am really at the point where I tried everything out and don't know what else to do?! :sleeping:

• If I change it from # to : I get the following feedback from pi hole:
    IP (192.168.178.82:53) is invalid!
    No DNS server has been selected.
    The settings have been reset to their previous values

• Offizieller Beitrag

If I change it from # to : I get the following feedback from pi hole:

Sorry yes, been a long time since I tested this but going back through the thread one of @Agricola images shows #5353 I looked at the original pi hole docs here for unbound it states the port as 5353. TBH I haven't read all the way through this thread just picking up the last two pages.

• That's correct but in the How-Tos from crashtest it is recommended to use port 53 instead of 5353 to prevent a potential issue when updating the OMV host.

So assuming Agricola right now using port 53 too?! 8)

• Just the ip address of the pi hole.
    OMV ip address#53 is only used in pi hole to use unbound as upstream server. So that combination doesn't make sense for me?!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just the ip address of the pi hole.

:thumbup: do you have the domain search option set? TBH this is one of the reasons I now have pi-hole running on a pi and a router that will allow me to add pi-holes address and disable the routers dns. The only other option I can of think of is the dns cache needs to be flushed on the iOS device.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just the ip address of the pi hole.
    OMV ip address#53 is only used in pi hole to use unbound as upstream server. So that combination doesn't make sense for me?!

Did you do the dig tests at the end of Unbounds configuration? One should have failed, the other should have worked.

I.E.

dig sigfail.verteiltesysteme.net @127.0.0.1 -p 53dig sigok.verteiltesysteme.net @127.0.0.1 -p 53In the above the first command fails. The second produces an IP address. This confirms that unbound is working.

• When you go into Configure DNS there is an option search domains I have this set to my omv domain System -> Domain name which is also the same in SMB/CIFS

Configure DNS in the pi hole settings? Sorry, still don't know how to change that option.

Did you do the dig tests at the end of Unbounds configuration? One should have failed, the other should have worked.
    I.E.

dig sigfail.verteiltesysteme.net @127.0.0.1 -p 53dig sigok.verteiltesysteme.net @127.0.0.1 -p 53In the above the first command fails. The second produces an IP address. This confirms that unbound is working.

Yes, I have done that and seemed for me that unbound works in background.
    But please have a view on the result on your own:

When I am watching at my pi hole dashboard I am wondering that a part of the queries are already answered through unbound (192.168.178.82). But some still go through other DNS servers:

:!: Odroid HC2 - OMV 5 - 3TB Hard Drive :!:

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ChrisBuzz ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

@ChrisBuzz following are the results from the tests:

Here's the config file I'm using the OMV server host, located at /etc/unbound/unbound.conf.d/pi-hole.conf

In my setup, I direct all clients to my router, which forwards to pi-hole (running in a docker), which forwards to unbound which is running in a direct install on my OMV server.

The above also works for DHCP clients - they'll pickup the router's DNS server setting.
    As has been mentioned, only one DNS address (Pi-hole's address) can be used at the router or, under certain circumstances, Pi-hole can be bypassed. If there's more than one entry to fill, any DNS entry at the router should be pi-holes address.

With that said, as I remember, one user had an Apple router that seemingly ignored the DNS setting and used the ISP's DNS server anyway. All I can say to that is, buy another router that does what you configure it to do. If equipment ignores your settings, nothing can be done about that.

To stop IPv6 leaks (advertisers are using IPv6 to bypass firewalls and DNS blockers like Pi-hole), add the following line pi-holes config file.
    AAAA_QUERY_ANALYSIS=no (How to do that, with Pi-hole running in a Docker, is in the Pi-hole How-To.)

• I have a very similar set-up, the only real difference is that I have two Unbounds, each running in a Docker container. And I concur, if equipment ignores your settings, replace it. You are the master of your home network, not your ISP.

• Any ideas why my pi-hole docker container can't ping the OMV host (Raspberry Pi 4 w/ unbound local install)? I've followed the guide closely. Other devices on the network can ping both the Pi-Hole container and OMV as well as utilise unbound via dig @<OMV-host address> but ping <OMV-host address> fails inside the Pihole container.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm try to set up PiHole to use as a pxe/dhcp server.
    I don't need it to block ads.

Is the MacVlan require for this ?

No. The MacVlan is to give pi-hole exclusive access to ports 80 and 443, on another IP address, to be able pi-hole's ability to do full page blocks. If you don't care about blocking, you could use bridged mode and redirect pi-hole's port 80 and 443 to other ports, that won't conflict with OMV.

BTW: I just started using pi-holes DHCP function. It works well. It's a shame I didn't test it sooner.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!