Questions concerning [How To] Install Pi-Hole in Docker

• Offizieller Beitrag

aby ideas for me? I thinking about this, docker starting i thing ok, but IP doesn’t answer, maybe this is problem with macvlan,routing table,i give up

Using Watchtower with pi-hole is a bad idea. First, if you want to continue to use Watchtower, figure out how to stop it from updating pi-hole. (Since I don't use Watchtower, you'll need to search on how to prevent Watchtower from updating pi-hole.)

Reading back, I know you were using Watchtower "before" with pi-hole. Perhaps, in the past, there were no updates for the pi-hole image. But when an event triggers a Watchtower update, pi-hole is updated without notice which is the problem 90% of the time.
    Dockers are static - they don't change by themselves. Other than parameters files set in binds and mount points, when they start, Docker containers start up identically every time.

Are you using this -> How-To ? I tested the document, line by line, yesterday and made a small adjustment at the end for an optional feature. I installed from scratch - It works. I've tested it and others have tested it.

• hi crashtest

send current configuration docker in omv version 4, for connection use is a wifi network card laptop. attached pictures,

now it indicates the dead state, help? thanks.

revise what DNS have your OMV in network->interfaces->edit, mine is 192.168.1.1 that is my ISP router eg:

You OMV must have a valid DNS IP ( NOT your piholeIP) to work because OMV need to resolve DNS prior to run pihole docker

• Offizieller Beitrag

aby ideas for me? I thinking about this, docker starting i thing ok, but IP doesn’t answer, maybe this is problem with macvlan,routing table,i give up

Using Watchtower with pi-hole is a bad idea. First, if you want to continue to use Watchtower, figure out how to stop it from updating pi-hole. (Since I don't use Watchtower, you'll need to search on how to prevent Watchtower from updating pi-hole.)

Reading back, I know you were using Watchtower "before" with pi-hole. Perhaps, in the past, there were no updates for the pi-hole image. But when an event triggers a Watchtower update, pi-hole is updated without notice which is the problem 90% of the time.
    Dockers are static - they don't change by themselves. Other than parameters files set in binds and mount points, when they start, Docker containers start up identically every time.

First check that your system is up to date.

Then, are you using this -> How-To ? I tested the document, line by line, yesterday and made a small adjustment at the end for an optional feature. I installed from scratch - It works. I've tested it and others have tested it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That's in the How-To document at the very beginning. I suggested a public DNS server and, in the example provided, googles server 8.8.8.8 is shown.

• Offizieller Beitrag

hi crashtest

send current configuration docker in omv version 4, for connection use is a wifi network card laptop. attached pictures,

now it indicates the dead state, help? thanks.

When looking over your volumes and bind points, it appears that you're setting them on a data drive. This is speculation but; during boot up, if there's the slightest delay in mounting the data drive, pi-holes parm's might not be read, and your restart parameter would prevent a restart. Also, the permissions set on data drives might be a consideration.

- As the How-To is written, /dockerparms is written to the boot drive which is where parameters should be.
    - Also, as @geaves noted, the restart policy should be "always" or "unless stopped". (They're both, functionally, the same thing.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I ran up my omv5 test laptop, and have installed, configured a working pi-hole in portainer, for the macvlan setup I followed this and for the setup in Portainer I used this

It's important to note not to use /sharedfolders when adding the host path but to use /srv/dev/disk/-by-label etc which is the absolute path.

A word of warning as mentioned by @crashtest if you move your docker install path there could be a delay when using USB attached storage, this may also be true if you have your container configs on a USB drive. If there is a problem you may have to restart container/s from within portainer, and possibly docker itself.

• greetings do what I was told in previous messages, and delete everything and re-created from scratch according to the installation guide but I was not successful without opening the pihole administration page.

• So I installed omv5. Pihole is still problematic but different.
    1) DHCP server failed to start, does not provide addresses,
    2) and here I do not know how it happens, but the running docker does not respond to ping from my computer, but when I enter the docker console and ping command to my computer pihole answer form ping immediately. But not for others devices.

• Have you enabled DHCP within Pi-Hole?

Yes, of course. And open ports like screen's. And disable DHCP on my router. But a more serious problem for me is point 2. I can't see the pihole from my network until I go inside docker and ping my device (ex my computer).
    Pihole has ip 192.168.1.5
    My computer 192.168.1.191
    Net 192.168.1.0/24
    GW 192.168.1.1

When I start (or restart) rpi,:
    a) ping from 192.168.1.191 to 192.168.1.5 failed, Destination host unreachable
    b) I open portainer, status pihole healthy (green), go pihole container console and...and only ping 192.168.1.191...
    c) ping from 192.168.1.191 to 192.168.1.5 reply correctly.
    But from any devices other no...until I repeat the sequence with each one.

BTW, I think this is the same reason why dhcp doesn't work. My next question (3) where i need write - NET_ADMIN option...when I write this on portainer Command, i have fatal error, I switch also Container capabilities NET_ADMIN but for dhcp doesn't matter.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von loso () aus folgendem Grund: Edit 010220201008

• Offizieller Beitrag

where i need write - NET_ADMIN option...when I write this on portainer Command,

You don't, it's in the section Capabilities when creating the container, just click on the NET_ADMIN switch, can you do this to running container I don't think so.

Why turn off DHCP on your router? If your router does not have the option to add a DNS (Pi-Hole) the easiest option is to add Pi-Holes DNS to each client.

• You don't, it's in the section Capabilities when creating the container, just click on the NET_ADMIN switch, can you do this to running container I don't think so.
    Why turn off DHCP on your router? If your router does not have the option to add a DNS (Pi-Hole) the easiest option is to add Pi-Holes DNS to each client.

yes, my router doesn't have option's to change dns for clients, but that's why I wrote above that it is not as big a problem as that neither one device can see pihole.

• ok, I remember i did it...
    But, what with this problem, device can't see pihole. This repeatly with every install.
    Pihole has ip 192.168.1.5
    My computer 192.168.1.191
    Net 192.168.1.0/24
    GW 192.168.1.1

When I start (or restart) rpi,:
    b) I open portainer, status pihole healthy (green), go pihole container console and...and only ping 192.168.1.191...
    c) ping from 192.168.1.191 to 192.168.1.5 reply correctly.
    But from any devices other no...until I repeat the sequence with each one.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This either networking or related to USB/SD Card as previously mentioned further up in the thread.

My omv5 test is on a laptop it runs from a USB Flash Drive, but my Pi-Hole config is stored on the laptops hard drive, with Pi-Hole running I can ping Pi-hole's IP from my W10 workstation with no issue. If your Pi-Hole config is on your attached USB drive then there is obviously some sort of delay until the config is ready. If your going to run DHCP using Pi-Hole you cannot keep shutting down the RPi it needs to stay on.

• My config is on sd-card (RPI), docker also.

It'sn't problem time, i waiting even 1 hour, and more. PiHole (192.168.1.5) from my PC (192.168.1.191) (ethernet cable) doesn't answer. But when I go to pihole container console, and execute the ping command to 192.168.1.191, my pc answers immediately and vice versa.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It'sn't problem time, i waiting even 1 hour, and more. PiHole (192.168.1.5) from my PC (192.168.1.191) (ethernet cable) doesn't answer.

I agree that makes no sense, but it's not something I would worry about, if you can access the Pi-Hole web page then it's working. Either that or there is an issue with the SD Card.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!