Change HDD (data) easily

• Hi,

I have an omv setup with 4 HDD, 2x4To and 2x6To. Both HDD is the miror of the other (same size), i used rsync to do that, no RAID.

I’m going to upgrade my 4To to 8.

What is the easiest way to do do?
    Is there any way to not unassigned shares etc...and rather for exemple use clonezilla or else to do a perfect copy and then simply swap my disks?

But the solution would have been to use a RAID 1 in the first place?
    But in that case if i were to upgrade the size of the HDD i could have done it one at a time to increase the size or i would have had to create the raid on the 8to and then transfer the files? (So no transfer of config: shared folders...)

Cheers

• Offizieller Beitrag

i used rsync to do that, no RAID.

Excellent.

What is the easiest way to do do?
    Is there any way to not unassigned shares etc...and rather for exemple use clonezilla or else to do a perfect copy and then simply swap my disks?

Clonezilla would work and might be the fastest method especially if your drives have lots of small files. Just use gparted-live after to expand the filesystem to use the rest of the disk space. You could do once disk at a time to make sure it works.

But the solution would have been to use a RAID 1 in the first place?

Nope.

But in that case if i were to upgrade the size of the HDD i could have done it one at a time to increase the size or i would have had to create the raid on the 8to and then transfer the files? (So no transfer of config: shared folders...)

You could do it one at a time and not have to change anything with shared folders.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for your answer!

I have search the forum and two more queries:

1/ i have seen an easier way, that is to simply use rsync for exemple to have all the same files on my new Hdd and then chàge the UUID, is that safe?

2/ to boot into clonezilla from my omv machine i have to use the clonezilla plugin it seems?

• 2. You can get a copy of Clonezialla Live, put it on a USB stick and boot that instead of booting OMV and using the Clonezilla plugin.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

i have seen an easier way, that is to simply use rsync for exemple to have all the same files on my new Hdd and then chàge the UUID, is that safe?

It is safe as long as the filesystems have different labels but if you have lots of small files, it will be slower.

to boot into clonezilla from my omv machine i have to use the clonezilla plugin it seems?

omv-extras can download the clonezilla iso and add an entry to grub to boot from -OR- you can download a newer version of clonezilla and boot from a usb stick.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Hi,

So i have tried clonezilla this night, i have choisen device-to-device copy, novice option and fsck option.
    This morning i was surprised to see my server still on while i asked for a shutdown at completion (i didnt keep any print).
    I have swapped the cloned hdd with the old one and on omv startup i had errors saying system failure due to my new hdd comporting bad block or « inconsistancy unexpected »

I have made a print but it’s in french.

https://imageshack.com/i/poeP52Oij

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would try to re-clone it and save the output.

• So, i succeeded to clone one drive.

I tried another one and got this error, i think it was kind of the same as the first try:
    https://imageshack.com/i/pmRwrpBgj

What do you think?
    I’m bit tired with this, i spent 5hours today on cloning without success...

Edit:maybe my info on my server, HP MIcroserver gen 8, last amd64 clonezilla live iso injected via ilo.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What do you think?

It is segfaulting but it is hard to say why.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!