Can't enable Wifi on Nanopi M4

• Hi,

While I know wifi is not the best idea for NAS, I still want it to be enabled.
    After I set the config for wlan0 via GUI and press Apply I get an error:

Code
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; systemctl start 'networking' 2>&1' with exit code '1': Job for networking.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status networking.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

This robbin@nanopim4:/$ sudo ip a add 192.168.178.151/24 dev wlan0 killed network, had to reboot the device.

Will appreciate advice what to try to fix.

• After I set the config for wlan0 via GUI

I wouldn't do this since the base image relies on Armbian where Network Manager is the preferred way to setup wireless. After removing all wlan0 references in the UI (and checking /etc/network/interfaces that there's nothing left) I would simply call the following commands as root via SSH:

Code
    nmcli radio
    nmcli device
    nmcli device wifi rescan
    nmcli device wifi list
    nmtui

If everything is set up accordingly only calling nmtui and then choosing the wireless network you want to join is sufficient. The other commands are there to serve for debugging purposes so please post the output here.

Disclaimer: I've no idea whether Wi-Fi currently works on M4 (could be a driver/firmware issue) but at least it worked in the beginning.

• Hi,

Tried your commands and at

Code
    root@nanopim4:~# nmcli device
    DEVICE  TYPE      STATE        CONNECTION
    eth0    ethernet  connected    eth0
    wlan0   wifi      unavailable  --
    lo      loopback  unmanaged    --

wlan0 is listet as not available. how can I activate the wifi device?

• I have to bring this up again and may need some help here.

When I checked the gui there is really one eth0 interface listed within OMV. so I tried to delete it but after confirming the changes in the gui the system hangs completely. Only hard reset will bring the system back to life but the eth0 appears everytime again.

I´m not able to delete it within the gui properly. Any hints on how to solve this?

by now wifi is only connecting when the lan port is connected. As soon this happens both interfaces are accessible with different IP´s. As soon lan is disconneted wifi is also not reachable.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Most probably wlan0 is still referenced in /etc/network/interfaces. Each interface that is listed there won't be available to NetworkManager.

Have checked this? tkaiser was referring to /etc/network/interfaces, not the GUI of OMV.

• Thanks for pointing out.

Checked /etc/network/interfaces and deleted every entry there - reboot and every thing seems working fine now. The wifi is establishing a connection without having the ethernet port connected.

Super community here and big kudos to macom

• have to come back to you again. I got it managed to get wifi work standalone (without RJ45 connected) by editing the /etc/network/interfaces and deleting every network interface there.

Now I have the issue that after a few hours up to a day the wifi connection breaks, so I have to plug the RJ45 and restart the machine.

As my linux skills are not the best ;) I´m not sure where to start troubleshooting.

• sorry for pushing this topic up again. I´m still suffering with wifi issues. Is there anybody out there who can advise how to troubleshoot? Thanks in advance... as explained after a few hours or so the wifi connection is not available anymore... Would be awesome to use the nas a dedicated storage without wiring a cable network to it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!