Low power home-made NAS or QNAP / Synology ?

• Hi Guys, it has been very interesting reading this thread and am new here so please be a bit patient. OMV seems so interesting and I don't mind learning how to use it, at least the basics to get me going.

I need a NAS solution for 2 reasons:

1. A central storage for all my files that are organised and categorised for easy access (Books, magazines, Manuals, work files, Interesting Articles, Research papers).

2. To store all my media files (Movies and Music).

I have some questions and would appreciate input from fellow members:-

1. Is running OMV on a Raspberry Pi 4 as powerful and effective as a Synology solution e.g. Synology DS218+ which is highly rated for home use ?

2. The Pi 4 only has USB3 ports, are the connectors on the Pi 4 reliable enough to use a big primary USB3 drive (2 to 4 TB) ?

3. At the moment I have 2 wired access points (802.11n routers acting as APs) plugged into a run-off-the mill cheap Chinese 5-port wireless router (802.11n) provided by my ISP. The 2 wired APs enabled a reliable WiFi signal everywhere in the house. I am looking into investing in a good but cost effective 8-port gigabit switch and two 802.11AC based wireless routers to replace by existing AP routers. I would then connect my ISP router, two APs and the OMV NAS drive into the Gigabit switch. Is this the right approach to maximise performance ?

4. One of my APs is close to my entertainment room where I am using an NVIDIA Shield TV unit that is 802.11AC compliant. I am trying to avoid hard-wiring the Shield TV unit into the network as that would involve too much work and would be expensive (running new conduits). Hence, is 802.11AC fast enough to stream 1080p/60 surround-sound encoded movies and 4K/60 surround-sound encoded movies ?

5. Eventually, I want to create 1:1 copies of all my movies, the file sizes will be huge but I don't want any compromise. The Nvidia Shield TV can handle video playback (2k or 4K) very well but I don't want stuttering problems when streaming via wireless. Has anyone tried this ?

6. I have a small TV in my living room attached to a Xiaomi Mi Box 4 (Android TV Box) - I believe this media box is capable of transcoding content so there would be no need for the OMV solution to have transcoding capability. It just needs to serve files reliably and quickly which OMV is designed for right ?

7. Would it be possible to back-up the primary USB3 drive manually every week during the night when the NAS is not being used ?

8. Would I be able to access the documents on my OMV based NAS when I am not at home ?

8. A question for future initiatives - If I am building a website or a blog, would I be able to host it on the OMV NAS system for testing purposes ?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!