Need help: complete hard drive swap

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was thinking just add the controller card to his NAS (again assuming it has a PCIE slot) and do a local sync. It is going to be considerably faster than syncing over the network. That is a lot of data to sync so even on local sync he's going to have to expect some down time.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was thinking just add the controller card to his NAS (again assuming it has a PCIE slot) and do a local sync. It is going to be considerably faster than syncing over the network.

I agree but he's using a USB dock, with 2 drives in it, for a reason. It's speculation on my part, but I believe the dock is in use because there's no room inside the case for additional drives.
    If it's a lack of sata ports, your add-on card suggestion would be the way to go, for faster local copies. (And it could be done with SATA cables and drives hanging out the side, temporarily, if needed.)

In any case, since hard drives are a large part of the expense in setting up a NAS, I'd still want to use the old drives with another platform, as a backup server.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I agree but he's using a USB dock, with 2 drives in it, for a reason. It's speculation on my part, but I believe the dock is in use because there's no room inside the case for additional drives. If it's a lack of sata ports, your add-on card suggestion would be the way to go, for faster local copies. (And it could be done with SATA cables and drives hanging out the side, temporarily, if needed.)

In any case, since hard drives are a large part of the expense in setting up a NAS, I'd still want to use the old drives with another platform, as a backup server.

That's fine, as I said earlier... the drives don't need to be physically mounted to do a swap. Just use some longish sata and power splitters, and put just the drives on top the chassis while it syncs. It's not going to hurt anything to sync to the drives w/o them being mounted in a chassis... the key thing is you don't want them moving while in use (I've actually done this exact same thing quite a few times before I got hot swap and never had a problem). When it's done syncing, remove the old drives and properly mount them in the chassis.

• What the current plan is (shout out to Reddit for helping me here) is to migrate my server to a rackmount and use a PCIe card and a DAS (basically more disks) to set up my system with two mergerfs pools and rsync between them. Once the initial rsync is done, shut down the old system, do one last rsync, and then remove the old disks.

I have also taken to heart the danger in having 22TB and no RAID, and I've ordered 4 more 10TBs so I can set up a proper raid and have a failsafe, plus a new server chassis/rack solution, which should be more extensible in the future than a simple tower.

• I've ordered 4 more 10TBs so I can set up a proper raid and have a failsafe

RAID is not backup. Seems now you start to try to care about data availability (RAID) while you still ignore data integrity and data safety (that's 'checksums' and backup).

BTW: RAID with such large disks is a terrible idea and doesn't work anyway...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Raid is irrelevant... RAID IS NOT A BACKUP... but it sounds like you're addressing htis.

Honestly putting it in a rack mount (if you don't have one) sounds like an unnecessary expense. Get the PCIE card, set the drives on top the case while the sync is in progress.. Once it's done, since you've apparently already ordered 4 more drives, you can use them and your 4 bay USB dock as a backup.

Whatever works for you though.. just that rack mount cases can be EXPENSIVE and it just kinda seems unnecessary in this case (unless you are planning something for it after this is all over). Really the only thing you need to buy is a Sata card, and maybe some long sata and power splitter cables

• Offizieller Beitrag

I agree with the above - RAID is not protection for your data.

Since you're already using mergerfs; in comparison to traditional RAID, you'd be far better off with SNAPRAID. It only takes one extra drive for a 4 drive mergerfs pool, it's simple to set up in OMV's GUI, and it comes with a lot of benefits like file and folder restoration, the ability to reconstruct a drive (without the torture test a RAID array puts drives through) and checksums for bitrot protection.

Of course, no RAID setup is a substitute for BACKUP on a second host. Two full and separate copies of your data is key, and having those copies on two different hosts is a highly desired goal. (It seems that you may be on this track and will have the hardware to make it happen.)

If you're using a rack mount server, with a lot of drive ports and slots as a sort of hard drive farm, I get that. But all of that hardware, in a single host, still represents a single point of failure. That makes real (2 host) backup all the more important.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!