HP Proliant ML110 G7 - OMV or UNRAID?

• I was very lucky. Someone on a forum I'm active on was offering a free server and I was going to be in the area the next day. I took the train an extra station and picked up the HP Proliant ML110 G7. I almost broke my toe trying to carry the server in one hand and a coffee in the other but it was worth it. I've been looking at FreeNAS ZFS, OpenMediaVault, unRAID and XPEnology. I have the hardware for FreeNAS but I'm not sure it is suited for my needs. Also, a RAID array seems like it is difficult and slow to expand. I'm thinking that OMV and unRAID are probably the two best choices.

I have 3x3TB DT01ACA300 in my main rig. I will be moving two or three of these into the server after it is set up so I can move my desktop into an ITX case. My plan is to gradually expand its storage capacity as 5-8TB externals go on sale and I can afford it. I need a flexible system that will pool the drives into a single volume and allow me to swap individual drives for larger capacities. I can't afford parity right now and will back up important data to an external. Most data is not that important. I have a SanDisk Ultra Fit 32GB, a Transcend Ultimate 32GB SDcard (which can plug into the MB) or I can pick up a cheap SATA SSD 64-128GB with TRIM if needed.

Specs: Xeon E3-1220@3.10GHz, 16GB ECC, 2x 300GB SAS & x2 250GB SATA, P410

Why I want a server:

• move torrent seeding off my desktop because seeding a massive bank of torrents is resource intensive.
    • share files to my wife's Macbook pro because it doesn't like Windows file sharing and her external keeps disconnecting.
    • share kids show to the TV so that I don't need to run them from my desktop with extended display mode.

Wants/Needs:

• low maintenance
    • easy to use GUI
    • headless operation after initial setup
    • easy to expand capacity
    • support for Sonarr, transmission/rtorrent, PLEX and headphones
    • reliable file share with Windows 10 and OSX

I know that the Xeon E3-1220 and 16GB ECC give me a lot of options ... too many options. Have built computers and I'm moderately savvy with windows and basic networking. I will be picking up an 8-port unmanaged switch for the servers dual ethernet ports. I've been trying to read up on comparisons but I can't follow most of the discussion and it seems that the information can quickly become outdated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You didn't really ask a question. So, i will just throw some info out there.

OMV can easily do this. Make sure to use the flashmemory plugin with sd cards or usb sticks (I even use it on SSDs - can't hurt).

If you use unionfilesystems plugin, you can pool disks and add/remove disks as you please. You will have to move content off a drive you plan on removing manually though. This isn't hard though - add new drive to pool, remove old drive from the pool. Create a shared folder on the removed drive and rsync it to a shared folder on the pool.

You could use raid as well but with no parity, losing one drive means you lose all info on the array.

I will be picking up an 8-port unmanaged switch for the servers dual ethernet ports

You will be disappointed in this setup since it provides you no increased speed or even redundancy. It would helpful I guess i you have two subnets.

I've been trying to read up on comparisons but I can't follow most of the discussion and it seems that the information can quickly become outdated

Comparisons of what?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I apologise if I didn't make my question clear. I am trying to decide of OMV or UNRAID would be more suitable for my needs. I have been trying to find a good recent comparison between OMV and UNRAID. I have tried asking on a few different forums but I have not got much of a response beyond I have used A or B and I'm happy.

The 8-port unmanaged switch is still required as I don't have any free ports on my router. It is unfortunate if it cannot provide any additional benefits in the case of two devices accessing files at the same time.

• Of course people on an OMV forum are going to favor OMV. I'm hoping for more of a reason than OMV is free and UNRAID isn't.
    UNRAID isn't so expensive that I would overlook it for that reason alone. I'm hoping to find someone that has tried both.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Of course people on an OMV forum are going to favor OMV. I'm hoping for more of a reason than OMV is free and UNRAID isn't.
    UNRAID isn't so expensive that I would overlook it for that reason alone. I'm hoping to find someone that has tried both.

Never tried unraid myself. I prefer OMV without trying unraid because I like Debian much better than Slackware that unraid is based on. Debian is known for being very stable. Debian's package manager is better as well. Last I read, unraid only runs on x86 hardware. And believe it or not, I haven't read about too many users comparing unraid and OMV on this forum (usually it is freenas and OMV). Personally, I like open source products. If unraid goes out of business, what would you do?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• The best way is for you to try them. Unraid gives you 1 month free trial. I have chosen this way, in the end I came to the conclusion that Omv is more flexible highly customizable and as Unraid Omv is Docker-oriented for applications

Take a look here

Trying to decide...unRaid or OMV

Thanks for sharing your experience.
    I've seen some comparisons like that, but the one you linked to is from 2015 and a lot has change for both OMV and UNRAID in four years.

Never tried unraid myself. I prefer OMV without trying unraid because I like Debian much better than Slackware that unraid is based on. Debian is known for being very stable. Debian's package manager is better as well. Last I read, unraid only runs on x86 hardware as well. And believe it or not, I haven't read about too many users comparing unraid and OMV on this forum (usually it is freenas and OMV). Personally, I liked open source products. If unraid goes out of business, what would you do?

This is very helpful as I can look up Debian and Slackware. I did not realise this difference.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!