6TB WD Red in HC2 - am I definitely going to have problems with spindown?

• Intriguing development over the weekend.

I did some testing, with the advice you guys gave me above, and it turns out that it was SMART that was preventing spin-down.

I was a bit surprised - I was convinced that it was Emby that was causing all the issues.

This was a bit of an issue as I was then wondering how I can keep an eye on my disk health if I cannot use SMART.

However, I have just come across this thread:

[SOLVED] Disks do not spin down automatically

It seems that if the SMART interval is less than the idle spin-down time, the disk will never go to sleep.

Hopefully, this shall sort out my issue.

• Offizieller Beitrag

But also check that you don't run automatic SMART tests all the time. That may prevent the disk from spinning down.

Perhaps it is sufficient to run the SMART test once per week or once per day? I only run the SMART tests manually, never automatically.

If you test often I would imagine that it might make the disk a little slower? But perhaps it isn't noticeable?

• Hi,

I'm new to OMV and using a HC2 with my old WD Red 4TB HDD.

I'm having issues, that the HDD does spin down after a few seconds.

Found 2 solutions.
    1st: 6TB WD Red in HC2 - am I definitely going to have problems with spindown?
    2nd: withblue.ink/2016/07/15/what-i…-to-build-a-home-nas.html

So, what should I use now? Update Firmware with WD-Tool and everything is fine?
    Or do I have to manipulate the jms578_fw_update that it will work?

Or do I have to do both things? And what about the hd-idle part within the 2nd link?

Lot of questions an it is not quite clear, which is the "right" solution?

Want to use OMV as my main NAS - therefore I want to start the right way.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I suggest that you update the jms578_fw USB-SATA firmware and specify spindown time. And avoid setting any Physical Disk Properties. Turn off all software that may keep the HDD spinning. Like frequent SMART diagnostics.

And see if that is enough. Otherwise carry on from there. (No idea how...)

• Offizieller Beitrag

No idea. If nothing else helps then perhaps. It seems that it is some running software that cause the HDD to not spin down or spin up seemingly unmotivated. Not the WD firmware. I don't use any WD REDs in my HC2s. Only Seagates.

I can confirm that the USB-SATA firmware upgrade completely fixed the spindown time for me. I set it at 30 minutes and it works perfectly. I use no automatic SMART diagnostics. YMMV.

• Hi all,

I am new to this forum and a new user of Openmediavault.

Yesterday I received my HC2 and set it up with my current WD Red 3TB.

I realized that the disk was spinning down much quicker than desired (especially for a WD Red that in theory should operate 24/7 without any spinning down).

hdparm does not work with WD Red, so Installed hd-idle, a tool I am relatively familiar with:

https://github.com/adelolmo/hd-idle/releases

I edited /etc/default/hd-idle:

And set it up for 90 minutes.

After that I enabled and started the service:

Code
    systemctl enable hd-idle
    systemctl start  hd-idle

However I noticed that it did not get applied.

Later I saw that spinning down can be also set up via firmware upgrade, so I did an upgrade with this option:

Code
    ./JMS578FwUpdate -d /dev/sda -f ./JMS578-Hardkenel-Release-v173.01.00.02-20190306.bin -b ./backup.bin -t 0

In other words I thought that If spinning down via flashing the adaptors firmware was set to 0, then I could set the values I wanted via hd-idle.

After setting -t 0, I proceeded with hd-dile one more time, again with no luck.

As it seems spinning down takes place much earlier with another mechanism that I cannot identify and modify/disable.

Do you have any idea?

Thank you in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try reflashing the firmware with -t 30 for 30 minutes spindown. Or whatever spindown you want. Perhaps even 720 might work. No idea what the max is.

You can also add a cron job that access the hdd now and then. That would mean that the drive will never spin down. -t 125 and access the hdd every 2 hours?

That should work without need for any other software to set the spindown.

Also you can put the rootfs on a partition on the HDD. That could also prevent spindown. Search for nand-sata-install here on this forum.

• Thanks both for your posts.

I may have found the mistake, as I did not give the time in seconds, but in the same format like for hdparm.

I will do some further tests and I will come back.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!