Why is my HDD waking up?

• This happened again but this time "smbd" was present among the processes in iosnoop.

Code
    smbd         2911   RM   8,16     5033242544   4096    6922.81                                                                                               
    kworker/0:1H 383    WS   8,16     3905925968   28672      0.33                                                                                               
    jbd2/sdb1-62 622    FWS  8,16     18446744073709551615 0         70.79                                                                                       
    <idle>       0      WS   8,16     3905926024   4096       0.22                                                                                               
    <idle>       0      FWS  8,16     18446744073709551615 0         24.96

I wasn't using using smb at the moment and the only other device that has access to the share is my nvidia shield tv so it must be it.
    "find /sharedfolders -amin -1" showed a bunch of random directories.

I think the reason "smbd" didn't show up ealier is because I run the iosnoop command after the drive woke up. I forgot to mention that, my bad.
    However, I'm pretty sure I have seen the drive woke up without any activity shown in iosnoop in the past, so I'm not excluding SMART yet.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It seems like you have some software somewhere that is indexing your media files or at least checking for updates. It could be another client on the network or some local media app. Or even a intruder hacker. ;) So it seems that your system is working just fine. If some software tries to access files on the HDD, it spins up.

Perhaps the nvidia shield TV checks for new media. Or Emby/Plex checks for updated or new media. Check the settings...

• Sorry for bothering you guys again but I'm still having this issue :( . This time with smb deactivated. iosnoop shows that this caused by "sync". Any idea what could it be?

Code
    mmcqd/0      170    WFS  179,0    163968       4096       0.85                                                                                               
    mmcqd/0      170    WS   179,0    294912       4096       0.69                                                                                               
    mmcqd/0      170    FWS  179,0    18446744073709551615 0          0.16                                                                                       
    sync         18922  FWS  8,0      18446744073709551615 0       6970.21                                                                                       
    mmcqd/0      170    WS   179,0    3827584      32768      1.31                                                                                               
    mmcqd/0      170    WS   179,0    4351872      32768      2.00
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Again, are there some files accessed in /sharedfolders, that may cause the drive to spin up?

If there are, them some plugin/script/setting is causing that. Check crontab, anything strange there?

The program sync is commonly used in timed scripts and background processes to ensure that data in caches and buffers are written to disk.

You might even (unlikely) have been infected by a worm that tries to propagate and spread.

What happens if you do a fresh install? Just install and update, don't add anything at all. Does the drive still spin up?

Then add one thing after another, until you get where you are now, and check after every single step to see if that caused the random spin ups.

And please, please report here if you find the culprit!

• Hi! Update. This is what happened. First thing I noticed that the issue had a pattern: the HD was being waken up every 15 minutes. Then I noticed that even with all the components active (smb, docker, SMART, ecc.), a simple reboot was fixing the issue... for a day. The next day the issue was coming back again. I then deactivated every component one by one with a reboot and a day of waiting in between. And I finally found the culprit: the transmission docker. I simply reinstalled it and now it looks like it's all working fine. Thanks for the help!

• I need to test this more but I think SMART was causing the disk to spin up. Anyway, I need to change the default spindown time for the hd622 (which currently is 10 minutes) to something higher like 60 minutes. I tried hdparm and hd-idle but neither of them work. Can anyone suggest a solution (changing the hd622 for something else is also an accepted solution)?

On this matter, I bought this cheap adapter with the jms578 chipset. I flashed the firmware for the odroid HC2 and everything seems to be working perfectly!

Code
    root@rock64:~/JMS578FwUpdater# ./JMS578FwUpdate -d /dev/sda -v                                                                                               
    Bridge Firmware Version: v173.1.0.2                                                                                                                          
    root@rock64:~/JMS578FwUpdater#

Changing the drive spindown time using the GUI also works but a full power cycle is needed for changes to be applied. I'm very pleased with this thing.

• I need to test this more but I think SMART was causing the disk to spin up. Anyway, I need to change the default spindown time for the hd622 (which currently is 10 minutes) to something higher like 60 minutes. I tried hdparm and hd-idle but neither of them work. Can anyone suggest a solution (changing the hd622 for something else is also an accepted solution)?

Again on this matter, I tried flashing the firmware for the cloudshell2 on the hd622 and as expected it didn't work since the cloudshell2 has the JMS561 chip and the hd622 has the JMS561u chip. However, changing the spindown timer using the jms561fwupdater worked just fine.

Code
    ./JMS561FwUpdate -d /dev/sda -t 30

"hdparm -C /dev/sda" still doesn't work: it returns "drive state is: standby" even if the drive is active. Can anyone tell me what are the implications of this?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!