OMV "blocks" Win10 Network

• Hello,
    I have a strange problem.
    Since a few month my 2 PCs with Win10 are showing the yellow triangle (of death) LAN Network icon.
    First I thought it is an Windows problem but as soon as I disconnect OMV (on BananaPi) and restart the network switch everything works fine.
    I have no idea where to start, to get rid of this error. All Windows 10 apps are not working, when the yellow triangle is shown, Firefox and chrome etc. are working.
    So I am connected with my PCs to the internet but the must be some trouble in the network config.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is definitely a wrong network setting you are using on the OMV system but without telling us what your settings are, no one can help.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

what infos do you need?

network settings. I don't care how you present them.

Or is it better to update to Version 4.x?

Normally I would say it is better to upgrade to OMV 4.x, I don't know how that upgrade will work on a BPi.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• no Firewall and no proxy is used. rsync was on before, now I disabled it. IPv6 was disabled before, now I set it to dhcp.
    Still testing if the yellow triangle now is gone. Normally it comes back as soon as I reboot Windows and the BananaPI is the first device in network.
    Booting up windows and AFTER that OMV normally removes the yellow triangle. But that could not be the solution.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't see anything wrong there. Rsync is definitely not the problem. I assume your router's IP address is 192.168.0.1? What do you mean the BPi is the "first" device on the network? Do you have the dnsmasq plugin installed on the BPi?

• Yes, 192.168.0.1 is router IP
    no, I think I discribed it wrong.
    I meant PC needs to be the first booted or started device in the network.
    If BananaPI is started first and after that the PC, I get the triangle.
    Only PC booted or PC after BananaPI I have no problem.
    But OMV is running always 24/7 and PC is restarted every morning. I dont want to disconnect BananaPI every day just to boot PC first in the network

• Offizieller Beitrag

I disabled it. IPv6 was disabled before, now I set it to dhcp.

No disable IPv6, your network is using IPv4, and in the first image Hostname is set but not the Domain name, the domain name is whatever you're using on your windows machines, e.g. workgroup.

• disabled IPv6 again and added Domain-name "workgroup", still the same problem.
    Disabling the Win10 Network-adapter while OMV is running and enable it again, brings back the yellow triangle. Right now I'm updating OMV to version 4.x

• DHCP range is 140 devices, so ...50 shouldn't be a problem. 2 PCs with different Networkcards and cables both have the same problem. So I dont think, switch, cable or something is the problem.

• Offizieller Beitrag

2 PCs with different Networkcards and cables both have the same problem. So I dont think, switch, cable or something is the problem.

Ok, but it's not an OMV problem either, this is something related to your network, I have known switches appear to work, only to find out with some testing that the switch was failing on certain ports and therefore creating network problems. Running the network troubleshooter will usually give up some information.

• Offizieller Beitrag

DHCP range is 140 devices, so ...50 shouldn't be a problem. 2 PCs with different Networkcards and cables both have the same problem. So I dont think, switch, cable or something is the problem.

I agree that it shouldn't be a problem. But that doesn't help if it is a problem. If the DHCP server is trying to give out IP numbers that are used already you get exactly the problems that you reported.

• changed OMV IP from x.50 to x.15, and PC IP from DHCP to x.17, still not good and same problem.
    Internet works, see speedtest from fast.com, but Win10 gives error.
    Picture 1: 15 seconds waittime between deactivating and activating network adapter.
    Resetting network, the suggested solution from win10, doesnt change anything.
    Changing the PC IP adress (to x.18) removes the yellow triangle.
    Deactivating and activating network adapter = triangle, changing IP back to old number x.17 still triangle, changing IP to x.16 = triangle is gone.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If the Windows boxes aren't looking at the OMV system for dns and none of the systems have duplicate IP addresses, I have no idea how this could happen without bad hardware and/or something weird with the router.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Resetting network, the suggested solution from win10

I have been working with Windows machines for longer than I can remember and that it not necessary!

All this is related to your network, as @Adoby has said it could have something to do with DHCP, so what is the DHCP range on your router it should have something like 192.168.0.xxx to 192.168.0.xxx (xxx being number/s).

• Offizieller Beitrag

I suggest that you go over ALL your devices and figure out exactly what IP they use, where they got that from and how you can make sure it doesn't conflict with other devices. It might even be a good idea to write it all down on a piece of paper or in a file somewhere. And/or put the info on stickers on each device.

Using fixed IP only on network equipment, printers, media players and servers is a good idea. Let the rest use DHCP.

It seems you or somebody else have assigned the same IP to more than one device. It may be from having more than one DHCP server or from you not keeping track of the IPs in use and the range(s) of the IPs the DHCP server(s) give out.

One very simple method is to use some network scanning software to figure out what IPs are in use. Also login to routers, access points, repeaters and other similar devices to see if the have a DHCP server active. It might be helpful to disable all DHCP servers except one.

Your description that some IPs work but other doesn't seem to confirm (even prove?) that you use the same IP on multiple devices.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!