Upgrade necessary (OMV 2.2)?

• OMV 2.x
    • Upgrade 2.x -> 4.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Upgrade necessary (OMV 2.2)?

Hello,

on my bananapi omv 2.2 has been ran since 3 years. I noticed that there were no more updates for a couple of month. Is it save to use omv 2.2 furthermore?

These days a news has come that there is a security problem with apt-get that is fixed. Is it right that this patch is not available for OMV 2.2/weezy?

I'm sure a lot of you guys have a lot fun in playing with and upgrading your systems. But when I set up my NAS in 2016 I hoped it was much less maintenance intensive as i.e. Windows. Because there is less time for playing I would prefer to keep the system as it is.

system information:

Description: Debian GNU/Linux 7 (wheezy)
      Release: 7.11
      Codename: wheezy
      = openmediavault information
      Release: 2.2.14
      Codename: Stone burner
    • I think Debian Wheezy is not maintained by the Debian project anymore. According to security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2019-3462 the apt issue has not been fixed in Wheezy.
      Absolutely no support through PM!

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
      I will face my fear.
      I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
      And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
      Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
      Only I will remain.

Litany against fear by Bene Gesserit
    • You should consider to upgrade to the latest version to get Debian security updates.
      Absolutely no support through PM!

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
      I will face my fear.
      I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
      And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
      Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
      Only I will remain.

Litany against fear by Bene Gesserit
    • Zonk wrote:

Because there is less time for playing I would prefer to keep the system as it is.
      Since you're German: faq-o-matic.net/2008/02/20/nev…-running-system-bullshit/ -- there's no alternative to keeping software up to date in this world.

In case you want to continue with the old Banana hardware I would start from scratch now, use latest OMV4 image for your hardware and look into the web UI for updates from time to time. Latest OMV images for ARM devices come with 'unattended-upgrades' package pre-installed so important security fixes will be installed within 24 hours anyway.
    • votdev wrote:

You should consider to upgrade to the latest version to get Debian security updates

Well, OMV 2 to 3 upgrades weren't exactly trouble free and upgrading an old Banana Pi installation of questionable origin (most probably using a crappy and horribly outdated kernel 3.4) is not solving some problems like still running on a crappy/insecure kernel.

And if the OMV image in use didn't already enabled the flashmemory plugin such a distro upgrade is usually killing the SD card if already in use for some years.
    • Thanks for your quick answers.
      Yes, German is my native language. I have read the linked article and agree that updating is important. But in my opinion it is not as easy as it is written in one sentence. I.e. to update my NAS it is not really easy and it can make trouble. Also it is not the only system I have to care for. There are some personal computers, tablets, media boxes, TVs, ...
      OK, that's not the subject.

As far as I know the image for my bananaPi ist from simpleNAS.com and it uses kernel "3.4.108+". As I just have seen the domain "simplenas.com" is not active anymore and I remember that the domain was a little suspicious to me when I set up the system.

That are enough arguments for a new setup so I want to switch to omv4.
      I remember that there were two ways to get omv2 for bananapi. Is there a recommendable image of omv4 for bananapi or is it better to install debian first and than omv? Could someone supply a link?
    • Zonk wrote:

Is there a recommendable image of omv4 for bananapi
      sourceforge.net/projects/openm…ngle%20Board%20Computers/
      omv 4.1.22 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.15
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • Zonk wrote:

After asking I have found the same page but I was not sure if the images are good and trustable.
      It is the official OMV sourceforge page. I upload the images to that page that tkaiser builds.
      omv 4.1.22 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.15
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • Hello everyone, (I'm bob)

First of, thanks to all the community for all the great work you've done building OMV.

I've been trying to make OMV4 (from the SourceForge repository) works on a BananaPI (M2Berry) for a couple of days now, with no luck.

Tried several things (multiple SD cards, power supply, Etcher & dd, various ISOs/IMGs, Armbian, etc.) and can't make it work.
      However, I can confirm that the images from there work : wiki.banana-pi.org/Banana_Pi_BPI-M2_Berry#Image_Release. (but I'd rather use the official OMV4 image).

It seems that since it has changed to ext4/btrfs partitionning, the device won't even boot (red led).

Did anyone try to install lately or can confirm what I'm experiencing?

Many thanks,
      Bob
    • Bob wrote:

I've been trying to make OMV4 (from the SourceForge repository) works on a BananaPI (M2Berry)

Impossible, there's no image for M2 Berry. Please remember that those Banana folks name almost all of their totally incompatible boards 'M2 something'. I never encountered a more stupid naming scheme so far...

The only Banana M2 thingy supported is M2 Plus (Allwinner H3). M2 (without some additional naming BS), M2 Berry, M2 Ultra, M2 Magic and M2 Zero aren't supported.
    • Thanks @tkaiser for your quick reply.

My bad, I though it was M2* (for all M2 devices). Guess, I'm gonna have to read twice about a board before buying it (especially about the SATA connector). For anyone else in my position, I used an old stretch Armbian image (5.59), with armbian-config to install OMV4.

As @tkaiser said in another thread, I will probably switch to an ODROID, and keep the M2Berry for another project (firewall maybe?!)

Thanks again,
      Bob
    • Bob wrote:

I will probably switch to an ODROID

Be careful please. The majority of ODROIDs is crap for the NAS use case. Only HC1/HC2 are suited. And they're both overpriced and far from perfect (everything USB attached internally). But for whatever reasons there's no competition if it's about an almost hassle free single disk NAS thing with low consumption able to run with free software like OMV.