Systemdisk getting full after making a USB-Backup...

• Hi,
    I have a strange problem.
    I configured the USB backup plug-in to backup my whole data disks. I did the first backup - all seemed to run ok (I am just wondering how I see if the process is done).

But after/during the backup my system disk was running full. I was afraid that it will run into problem when totally full so I rebooted the system. Now the system drive is more than double the size than before (see picture)...what happened? How can I check/delete this?

Any help greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Best.
    Fabian

MoBo: Fujitsu D3417-B
    CPU: Intel Celeron G3900
    RAM: Samsung DDR4 - 8 GB ECC
    Case: Fractal Design Node 80
    HDD: SSD 64GB (System), 2*3TB+1*4TB (Data) + 1*4TB (Parity). UnionFS + Snapraid
    OMV 4
    Router: Fritzbox 7590

• It may be that you have specified a wrong destination. Did you connect an external USB drive to your OMV NAS? Was the backup written to this disk? Or accidentally to the system drive?

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• I attached an external USB drive - it was new. I deleted it and created an filesystem (ext4). After this I enabled the USB-Backup Plugin.
    The destination was correct. The external drive was getting full. I just checked: the data is there...
    ?!? Strange.
    Any Idea?
    Thanks.
    Fabian

OMV 4

• In which folder could I find some data?!? I am lost...quite new to linux and not very familiar with the folder structure in a Linux-box.

OMV 4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Take a look in /tmp
    This should be, mostly, empty.
    (What's there might be the text of dialog warnings from past operations, at 1 or 2K per file, and a few hidden empty folders.)

I've seen some app's/utilities use this location when moving files. In the instances I've noticed, it cleans up after the operation is complete.

Otherwise try the following on the command line:

du -d1 -h /

This shows the amount of data, in all folders, at the root /*

• OK, thanks.
    TMP is almost empty.

Here is the output of your command...I wander that I only get 3 folder...should I wait longer?
    I did not get a prompt again?!?

Thanks for your help!
    Fabian

OMV 4

• I just got in idea.
    I have some Backups of my systemdrive via the backup plug-in. Is there a way to mount the fsa-file and compare with the systemdrive...it should be easy to find all this extra data...
    ???

OMV 4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a way to mount the fsa-file and compare with the systemdrive...it should be easy to find all this extra data...

I don't use the plugin, so I have no idea. I use USB boot drives and clone them. (Restoration takes 2 or 3 minutes.)

should I wait longer?
    I did not get a prompt again?!?

Yes, it might take awhile. When it's done, the prompt will come back.

Ignore results under /srv . This is where your data drive(s) are mounted.

• Thanks for the help...will check tomorrow...have to go to bed now ..
    Best.
    F.

OMV 4

• Offizieller Beitrag

.will check tomorrow...have to go to bed now ..

You must be in the EU. :)

Here's a sample output from my server. (16GB USB)

• Great, I will compare.
    Strangly enough the systemdisk is almost back to normal...I started a new USB-Backup over night. And now I am at 14GB - still a lot, but way better than before...So maybe the problem will solve by itself? Maybe the USB-Backup plugin is caching something?
    I will report back when I get things clear.
    Best.
    Fabian

PS: Yes, I am in Germany ;)

OMV 4

• Maybe the USB-Backup plugin is caching something?

Not that I know. It uses rsync for the copy job.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• (I am just wondering how I see if the process is done).

As I know a buzzer beep is generated when the USB backup job starts and a second beep is generated when the job has ended. Of course it requires a buzzer in hardware.

The plugin mounts the USB drive and unmounts it at the end. If the drive is unmounted this could be a second indicator that the job was already finished.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!