Odroid XU4 - can't start OpenMediaVault 4

• Next time, start the discussions with "I have a Chinese SD card"....

With that logic we shouldn't be using 90% of devices, because they have parts produced in China.
    This "MIXZA TOHAOLL" has many good reviews. After all I did some tests and it seems to work fine. No fake size, no damaged files. Most likely it only had problems to work with kernel 4.9.

• With that logic we shouldn't be using 90% of devices, because they have parts produced in China.This "MIXZA TOHAOLL" has many good reviews. After all I did some tests and it seems to work fine. No fake size, no damaged files. Most likely it only had problems to work with kernel 4.9.

This is not about the logic "because something is from China". Only to provide all possible technical details at once in order to avoid unnecessary chasing after your own tail. I'm not surprised that @tkaiser has a rough approach to many problems of users where usually problem is in psu / sd / rpi.

Kernel compatibility with SD card. I have not heard about it. It's good to know something new. I wonder exactly what effect a particular sd card has on a particular kernel?

• Kernel compatibility with SD card. I have not heard about it

Three areas:

• u-boot: when having to use a horribly outdated vendor bootloader (does not apply to any OMV/Armbian image since we're using mainline but to the majority of all the other ARM images out there) there can be compatibility issues that need patches/fixes. I can't recall this being a problem with SD cards but with rather similar eMMC modules where the code is only ready for MMC version 4.x and as such refuses to work with eMMC 5.x modules. Vice versa exists too and some MMC storage will only work with the smelly vendor BSP drivers but not with upstream mainline code.
    • kernel: exactly same as above
    • Device-tree: this is not directly kernel but settings that always have to match kernel version. And as such sh*t happens (see the lost cpufreq steps after applying the moronic Armbian kernel update to 4.19 a while ago). A relevant setting is called drive strength and this amperage value can make the difference between SD card working flawlessly or not booting at all or something in between. As such a 'kernel update' can easily break or fix things here.

No idea whether any of this applies to the situation here. Just meant as some food for thought.

• Three areas:

• u-boot: when having to use a horribly outdated vendor bootloader (does not apply to any OMV/Armbian image since we're using mainline but to the majority of all the other ARM images out there) there can be compatibility issues that need patches/fixes. I can't recall this being a problem with SD cards but with rather similar eMMC modules where the code is only ready for MMC version 4.x and as such refuses to work with eMMC 5.x modules. Vice versa exists too and some MMC storage will only work with the smelly vendor BSP drivers but not with upstream mainline code.
    • kernel: exactly same as above
    • Device-tree: this is not directly kernel but settings that always have to match kernel version. And as such sh*t happens (see the lost cpufreq steps after applying the moronic Armbian kernel update to 4.19 a while ago). A relevant setting is called drive strength and this amperage value can make the difference between SD card working flawlessly or not booting at all or something in between. As such a 'kernel update' can easily break or fix things here.

No idea whether any of this applies to the situation here. Just meant as some food for thought.

Interesting.

I would rather not expect such problems in 2019.
    In these times, rather the compatibility of the cards should rather be solidly resolved. Well, but ... the realities and theoretical assumptions do not always go hand in hand. :)

So for the peace of mind, it is always good to give a specific sd card because maybe someone knows about its compatibility. imho :)

• Just to report that I have had the same experience Moan described earlier:

I downloaded OMV_4_Odroid_XU4_HC1_HC2.img.xz from Sourceforge, verified the hashes, burned to a 16Gb SanDisk SD card and have failed to get the Odroid HC2 to boot. It's not showing up in my router's DHCP list. The hard drive in the unit is starting and stopping every so often. The Ethernet port on the switch is showing send and receive traffic but I see only an intermittent orange LED on the network port of the HC2; the motherboard LEDs look fine (blinking blue, solid red and green). I'm using OMV on an old PC so I'm familiar with it and I've got a number of Raspberry Pis so also familiar with SBCs.

Am about to download and try Armbian Buster. Is this supported or should I stick to Stretch?

Update: booted up ok, got IP address.

I've tried to install OMV using armbian-install. Seemed to add repos ok, not sure -- the display was hard to read. Then tried sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade respectively. Results attached. OpenMediaVaultExtras not available??

Am going to leave Stretch downloading (I'm on a v slow DSL link).

Update: OMV installed and working with Armbian Stretch.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!