Problem with second Network Port english/deutsch

• Hello,

i'm using a Supermicro X11SCA-F with 2 LAN ports. According to the manual Two Intel® 1G LAN ports on I/O back panel (i210AT + i219LM(vPro)) One of them, Nr 2 is showing in OMV as "eno2" I'm trying to integrat also Nr1, but getting always a failure Message.

Unfortunatly i cant say wich port is wich, but i guess that i219LM(vPro) is eno2, because thats Nr 2 on the Manual and i219 is the second in the line of description.

The failure message and other screenshots are attached

Thanks in advanced for your help

br
    Matt

Hallo,

ich nutze ein Mainboard von SM X11SCA-F mit 2 Lan Ports. Laut Handbuch Two Intel® 1G LAN ports on I/O back panel (i210AT + i219LM(vPro)) Einer von denen wird als eno2 von OMV sofort genutzt. der andere lediglich im Dashboard angezeigt, aber ich kann ihn nicht hinzufügen. Bekomme dann immer die selbe Fehlermeldung. Die Chipsätze sind i210AT und i219LM Der eno2 müsste i219LM sein, weil das auch der shareport für IPMI ist. Genau kann ich es nicht sagen. Falls jemand weis wie ich das raus finden kann, bitte bescheid geben.

Danke für Eure Hilfe
    Matt

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm trying to integrat also Nr1, but getting always a failure Message.

You probably won't, best guess here is that one of those lan ports and I'm guessing eno1 is your IPMI -> remote console a similar feature used by HP to remotely control the server. This is the wiki that explains the function of IPMI.

• ok, i'm home. Give me a minute.

ok, here it is

Last login: Tue Feb 5 12:48:28 2019 from 192.168.178.70
    root@NAS:~# systemctl status networking.service
    ● networking.service - Raise network interfaces
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/networking.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2019-02-05 12:21:42 CET; 9h ago
    Docs: man:interfaces(5)
    Main PID: 2078 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
    CPU: 22ms

Feb 05 12:21:42 NAS systemd[1]: Starting Raise network interfaces...
    Feb 05 12:21:42 NAS ifup[2078]: RTNETLINK answers: File exists
    Feb 05 12:21:42 NAS ifup[2078]: ifup: failed to bring up eno1
    Feb 05 12:21:42 NAS systemd[1]: networking.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status
    =1/FAILURE
    Feb 05 12:21:42 NAS systemd[1]: Failed to start Raise network interfaces.
    Feb 05 12:21:42 NAS systemd[1]: networking.service: Unit entered failed state.
    Feb 05 12:21:42 NAS systemd[1]: networking.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok, from OMV and you must be on that machine not from ssh

ip addr flush dev eno1 then /etc/init.d/networking/restart that should resolve the above error.

Check the GUI and you may or may not have to reboot. There is a similar thread here

• Good morning,

i could not sleep, so i did the commands as you said direct on the machine.

This was the response:

root@NAS:~# ip addr flush dev eno1
    root@NAS:~# /etc/init.d/networking/restart
    -bash: /etc/init.d/networking/restart: Ist kein Verzeichnis

the last words are german, meaning "is not a directory"

• bad ;((

[....] Restarting networking (via systemct1): networking.service.Job for networking.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemct1 status networking.service" and "journal -xe" for details
    failed!

• and what i dont get, in the first screenshot is written by the system: no network available

Bute when i open OMV in the browser, i see in the dashboard 'eno2' AND 'eno1', 'eno1' the correct internal static IP, but without a Gateway. And what the hack is 'lo'

• Offizieller Beitrag

i see in the dashboard 'eno2' AND 'eno1', 'eno1' the correct internal static IP, but without a Gateway. And what the hack is 'lo'

You cannot have 2 identical gateways on the same machine, lo is the loopback device you can imagine it as a virtual network device that is on all systems.
    Note to self; review network restart -> systemctl?

I take you don't want to do routing, use 2 subnets or any other unnecessary networking other than to access OMV?

If this was me I would set eno1 as the main nic on the board, then set eno2 (without a gateway) to purely be used for IPMI.

• ??? I'm confused. In my desktop PC i have a networkcard with 2 LAN ports and i configured them the exact same way with the same gateway. And it works.
    The gateway is the internal adress for my FritzBox, wich is the main router here.
    The IPMI an this SM Board have it's own static IP. On the board is a special chip just for IPMI. The LAN port is forwarding all traffic for this IP to this chip. They just share the entry dore, but living on different levels as is would say.

There mus be a way

• Offizieller Beitrag

I did some research on this last night but it's a long time since I used 2 nics in a server, that was back in days of dial up and to give access to all in the house one had to have a dedicated machine to act as a bridge between the internal Lan and the external Wan.

Today things are much simpler, you could use your OMV in the same way so that you have an internal and external network route, so all traffic goes through OMV to the internet, but today that serves no purpose.

Your m'board is similar to HP's ILO, two network connections, one is set up to access the internet and for local traffic, the other accesses IPMI or in HP's case ILO. The only other option to use a second network connection is for a DMZ for say a web server.

In my desktop PC i have a networkcard with 2 LAN ports and i configured them the exact same way with the same gateway.

Windows or Linux? I did save a link regarding two network connections

• In my Desktop is Windows. My m'board is a Supermicro X11sca-f
    One LAN is a shared port. So not ONLY for ipmi. According to SM i can use the Port for ipmi AND Network at same time. The Boards with a separate ipmi LAN having usually 3 LAN Ports.

• In my Desktop is Windows. My m'board is a Supermicro X11sca-f
    One LAN is a shared port. So not ONLY for ipmi. According to SM i can use the Port for ipmi AND Network at same time. The Boards with a separate ipmi LAN having usually 3 LAN Ports.

And it's the single one wich i can not Connect.
    Intel PHY I219LM Controller

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!