NFS problems with Kodi streaming

• Just thought I'd straighten a few things out.

The errors messages I was getting on the console of the one client ("NFS: Server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx error: fileid changed") appeared to be when accessing via NFSv4 only. I switched the client to v3 for 24 hours and didn't get those errors. I've just changed back to NFSv4 recently after changing my exports so the NFSv4 exports don't have the fsid=0 entry. Was reading that could cause the issue I was seeing and read that NFSv4 does not need the fsid= value. I can edit this post or comment later if I notice that I no longer receive the errors. Either way, I doubt any of this had to do with my issues with Kodi.

I no longer appear to be having issues with NFSv3 using Kodi. I'm not entirely sure if it was a CPU issue (which it could have been since at the time my processor was just about maxed out due to MergerFS and Crashplan hammering it) or if it was switching to no_subtree_check to the exports, or adding noforget to my MergerFS config. I have since moved to an entirely different motherboard and significantly more RAM and CPU power...simply because it fell in my lap.

All I can say is, after going to OMV4, things seem to take a little more tinkering and tweaking to iron out issues but I think this is all compounded with my configuration (mainly, MergerFS/Snapraid as there seems to be quite a few issues stemming from that in OMV4).

EDIT:
    Confirmed, I'm not longer receiving the "NFS: Server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx error: fileid changed" on my one client that was using NFSv4 after removing the fsid=0 entries in the exports file, and switching back to use NFSv4.

• I still have the issue with playback stoping after aprox. 60 minutes.
    I am a beginner with OMV and Linux.
    How can i remove the fsid=0 entries?
    THX

I'm honestly not 100% sure why I'm not experiencing the problem anymore. Depending on what hardware you're using for Kodi, you might be able to try using NFSv4. You won't be able to do this with a Fire stick though. You could with a Raspberry Pi (once again, depending on what you're using still, I use OSMC which provides a stripped down version of Debian I believe),

To do this you would need to edit the /etc/fstab to add the NFS mount.

I may be able to help you, I may not. I have a pretty complex setup. For my primary systems I'm using Emby (sort of like plex but different) in a docker on OMV which pretty much manages my media (adds metadata, downloads subtitles, fanart, etc) and I use the Emby plugin for Kodi on some of my Kodi devices. On the plugin in Kodi I have it configured to use the plugin to play video, which basically streams it over http(s) over a specific port Emby uses. I do have one Kodi device though that doesn't use Emby and just plays direct via NFS. This is the one I WAS having problems with.

My media is stored on a pool of EXT4 file systems using the Union Filesystem plugin. This makes multiple disks look like one disk. It has its pro's and cons and is further complicating my issues. My media folder is then exported via NFS and SMB.

What version of OMV are you running?
    Qhat type of file system do you have your media on that your exporting via NFS?
    Also what are you using for Kodi?

• Actually I am running kodi 18.2 on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and I running a NAS with OMV 4.19.0-0.bpo.2-amd64. My media is also stored on a pool of EXT4 file systems using the Union Filesystem with SnapRaid. The Issue started, when I had to change a disk in the SnapRaid array.
    I had the same Problems on Kodi 18.0.
    Playback stops after aprox 1 hour, when I restart the playback it stops after a few seconds. After restarting the NAS the problem is gone (for a while).
    No Problems when using MiniDLNA on the same NAS. Only have this issue, when using NFS.
    Maybe I should delete everything and reinstall OMV :(

• Actually I am running kodi 18.2 on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and I running a NAS with OMV 4.19.0-0.bpo.2-amd64. My media is also stored on a pool of EXT4 file systems using the Union Filesystem with SnapRaid. The Issue started, when I had to change a disk in the SnapRaid array.
    I had the same Problems on Kodi 18.0.
    Playback stops after aprox 1 hour, when I restart the playback it stops after a few seconds. After restarting the NAS the problem is gone (for a while).
    No Problems when using MiniDLNA on the same NAS. Only have this issue, when using NFS.
    Maybe I should delete everything and reinstall OMV :(

Not sure how much that'll help. I just recently upgraded from OMV3 to OMV4 doing a fresh install.

What options do you have set for you Union File system?

I have the following set "defaults,allow_other,direct_io,use_ino,func.getattr=newest,noforget"

use_ino, and noforget are supposed to help with NFS, especially with Kodi. There's nothing in the FAQ for mergerfs when it comes to kodi with NFS and using direct_io, but there is a comment in there about NFS and direct_io helping write speed, so I have it set since I do write files via NFS. Kodi pretty much only reads so that shouldn't be an issue for you.

Otherwise I don't really know what else you can try doing except SMB or if you really must use NFS, perhaps edit your /etc/fstab on your Raspberry Pi to mount your NFS in v4 fashion (don't use xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/exports/folder....just use xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/folder). This won't work though if you're going through with the Kodi gui and browsing NFS as the library used by Kodi doesn't support NFSv4.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!