Noob Question regarding OMV Updates

• Hi,

I'm new to OMV but not new to PCs and Linux. I have a question concerning updates of OMV (e.g. upgrading OMV 4.x to 5).

If I install programs that are not docker images or OMV plugins, will they still be there after upgrading OMV to the next version? E.g. I will install snapper (http://www.snapper.io) in order to easily manage snapshots on my data volume. Will I have to install and configure this again after an OMV update or will it not be affected by the OMV update?

Best regards
    BartManson

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would expect to do a full reinstall from scratch between major versions. And even if it is supposed to not be needed I would do a full reinstall anyway, taking advantage of things I learned since last full reinstall.

Between minor versions I would expect everything to continue working. But I would still teke backups of the root filesystem, now and then, so I can revert to a known working conditions in case there are problems.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

• Hi Adoby,

thanks for your answer. That means if I upgrade from - say - 4.x to 4.y you would expect that everything that works before the update will also work after the update. If I upgrade from 4.x to 5 this will mean that I have to setup everything that is not covered by OMV from scratch (and - of course - backup everything before the upgrade). Right?

Best regards
    BartManson

• Upgrades within a version are no problem and nothing special needs to be done.

There will be no upgrade path from 4.x to 5.x. A full fresh install of OMV 5.x and complete configuration from scratch will be required.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!