Q: Plug OMV formatted HDD (EXT4) to my linux desktop and unable to access it via USB. Why?

• Q: If I plug my OMV formatted HDD (EXT4) to my Linux (Mint 19.1) desktop using USB to SSD cable I am unable to access it. I don't even see the file system. What am I missing?

OMV v4.1.3
    Odroid HC2

Thanks in advance!

• Is the USB/SSD cable device recognized my Mint? Look at the tail of dmesg after plugging it in to see.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I'm not crazy. You can't format a HDD in EXT4 in OMV and try to read it on another Linux Mint via a HDD USB adapter and partition does not exist (see pic). I have also tried formatting the HDD as EXT4 and NTFS using Gparted then move it to OMV and unable to mount it. Can someone confirm this?

• Hi,

AFAIK some SATA to USB adapters/docks mask the geometry of the drive, causing what I believe you are experiencing:

- A drive formatted without the adapter appears as unformatted when connected to it.

- A drive formatted when connected to the adapter is not recognized by the computer when attached directly to it (or behaves weirdly at most).

I would suggest you connect the drive to an internal SATA port and see if that makes any difference.

Hope this helps a bit.

• @hqxnet
    Thank!
    -Did not use the external USB to SATA adapter.
    -Plugging the HDD in to the SATA connector on the mobo worked and booted from a Linux Mint DVD worked!
    -I did notice the file permissions changed.
    -Never experienced this in Windows.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!