Trying to install OMV on ML350 G5 server

• OMV successfully installs but when I reboot to enter the fresh install I get the grub menu without OMV on it. No idea what I should try next. I think I need a way around the raid configuration it has. Just not sure. Any advice?

• The OS is in a raid array. I have looked all through the bios to try to disable raid, but everything I have found says I can't. What would be the process if I installed debian first?
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Trying installing the OS (OMV) onto a USB thumbdrive. You'll have to install the flash memory plugin, but OMV works fine when booting from a USB drive. (And, really, it doesn't make sense to have your boot drive in a RAID array.)

RAID only sas/sata ports? I was in a similar boat when repurposing an older server. I had an older Adaptec HBA that wouldn't pass SMART stat's transparently and, if adding a drive, it was necessary for the controller to "initialize it". (Which meant it wasn't possible to add a drive with data on it.)

You might want to take a look at this thread. I flashed a Dell H200 HBA ($26) to IT mode ,where it would run JBOD, transparently pass SMART stat's, accept drives with a format on them, etc.

• Offizieller Beitrag

(With apologies to @KM0201 for butting in.)

If I install it on a flash drive would I still be able to access the other drives in the server for media storage?

Sure. The USB thumb drive will just be your boot drive. You may have to enable USB boot, and change the BIOS boot order to make USB the 1rst boot choice. What you do with the RAID controller, adding drives, etc., is a separate consideration.

BTW: 16 to 32Gb is a good size for a USB boot drive, if you clone it. (You will want to clone it, so get two.)

Don't forget to install the flash memory plugin. How to install the flash memory plugin and other tweaks to make it more effective is covered in this -> guide.

• So I have OMV on a flash drive and have tested it on another pc to make sure it works. However, when I try to boot from it on the ML350 I get this:

error : attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'
    Entering rescue mode...
    grub rescue>

Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

All I can offer is speculation, however:

- Since you have a commercial server, it should be well documented at the OEM site. (That was the case for my Intel Server. There were plenty of OEM doc's, in the form of PDF's, covering almost every aspect of the box.) Do a Google search on the model #, from the serial sticker, and see what turns up.
    - You really need to understand your BIOS options (refer to the doc's) and, if you have integrated (on the motherboard) RAID find which ports are RAID ports, how they work and, of equal importance, if any non-RAID ports are available.
    - If you have a separate RAID card, as I did, that's another item to look up. Note that RAID cards (LSI, Adaptec, and OEM variants) have their own BIOS which allows them to change the host boot cycle
    - It may be that you have standard sata ports on the mobo, controlled by an integrated sata controller, where you can connect a standard boot drive. (This is highly probable. Boot options that only allow booting from a RAID array is highly unlikely. Your servers doc's should cover boot options in at least reasonable detail.)
    - Given the error you mentioned, I'd also look at whether or not USB boot is disabled.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________

BIOS options for commercial servers can be extensive. (As an example: In the case of my Intel Server, there's a TCP/IP network stack built into BIOS to facilitate SSH'ing into it, if the server fails to boot.) You should, in any case, get an understanding of the options. The same applies to the BIOS for the RAID card / controller.

I think you're looking at barriers imposed by BIOS (or UEFI) settings of either the motherboard or an add-on RAID card. The error seems to indicate that your box is set up to boot from hardware RAID only. That's a guess, based on the device name hd0 from the error. (In mdadm software RAID, the name given the first array is usually md0 versus the error: "attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0' By extension, the inference is, it's not possible to boot outside of a hardware array.))_____________________________________________________________________________________________

The first thing to find out is, do you have an add-on RAID card, or not? If you have a RAID card, you should be able to remove it and direct connect a drive to a motherboard sata port. (A sort of "divide and conquer" approach.)
    If you can turn RAID off, do so. Use a JBOD setting, if it's available. These days, it's much more convenient to manage RAID with software or the file system.

Finally, if you google "grub rescue>" you'll find commands and information on setting or changing grub boot devices. (While this is a guess, I don't think grub is responsible for the error. I believe getting dropped into grub rescue is just an end result.

If you search around, you'll the options / commands

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!