Plex update available for days, why no update?

• I had been on OMV 3.99 for months without issues and was perfectly content with the system so saw no reason to risk losing everything in an update to 4.0. Last week I noticed my plex page keeps telling me there is a new update, but it never showed up in the update management section of the webgui. I AM a plexpass member with beta if that makes much of a difference. Thinking that maybe the plex plugin was no longer being supported on 3.x I went ahead and updated to 4.1, but still no plex update is available. Everything seems to be running fine in the meantime, I just need to try and find out why my VPN stopped working months ago....

In the meantime, is there some reason the newest Plex updates aren't available? Typically the plugin updated the same day I'd see the notification on my homepage...

Thanks,

Corey

• If you are using the OMV Plex plugin, it communicates with the Plex.tv repository. However, Plex Pass versions are not available via that repository. Only the public releases are available that way.

You have some options though.

1) Manually download and manually install the Plex Pass versions, or

2) Use an update script that does the checking, downloading, and installing for you - See: https://github.com/mrworf/plexupdate , or

3) Instead of using the OMV Plex plugin, switch to running Plex in a docker. The available dockers have the capability of accessing the Plex Pass releases.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I see... I would definitely try Plex in docker if I could fully understand how that all works. Been on OMV for 2 years now but have a limited knowledge of linux. Docker seems to be some kind of VM or something to run programs externally?

• Docker is like a virtual environment of sorts. It can appear to be a bit unwieldy at first, but there are guides available here on the OMV forum site that will show you the way. I use to have quite a few programs running on my OMV that were either done via OMV plugins where available or separate manual installs. I replaced as many of those as possible with dockers, a dozen of them so far. It's the way to go.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Docker is like a virtual environment of sorts. It can appear to be a bit unwieldy at first, but there are guides available here on the OMV forum site that will show you the way. I use to have quite a few programs running on my OMV that were either done via OMV plugins where available or separate manual installs. I replaced as many of those as possible with dockers, a dozen of them so far. It's the way to go.

Wow so its that nice!? One of my biggest grips is that my OMV server cannot be running a VPN, and thus cannot do the actual downloading of the files for plex, else plex will not work outside of my home. If I was able to run docker setups, I imagine I could finally do both the downloading and streaming on one device... where should I go to start getting a feel for how docker setups work?

• I don't use VPN here, but the complaint you have with it is common and there are ways to work around it. Google "vpn split tunneling" for some pointers.

For a primer on dockers see: OMV + Docker plugin media server (Plex, PlexPy, Ombi, Libresonic, NZBGet, ruTorrent, Sonarr, Radarr, Mylar, and more)

Also, forum member
    TechnoDadLife has contributed many guide videos on OMV docker usage. Here's one of them: {How to} Install Plex Media Server in a docker [Video]

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!