Data hazard: OpenMediaVault nearly erased my entire SSD.

• Disclaimer: Yes, I do regularly back up my data. But hadn't I backed up my data, I nearly missed a full-disk data loss.

I decided to try out creating a RAID server. I needed something lightweight, which is why I decided to test out OpenMediaVault rather than FreeNAS.

During installation, I expected to be asked about which partition I would like to use with my installation. The installer indicated it was about to show a list of partitions.
    Instead, the installer decided to format the first thing it can find to ext4. I quickly shut off my PC.

It turns out that a partition I used mostly for temporary data got re-formatted to ext4.

The installer lied to me when it said it was about to show me a list of partitions. :!:

I decided to warn the community of this potential hazard.

• Offizieller Beitrag

…instead of the main data partition.

Not to be a prick, but you clearly didn't read the installation instructions, as this is clearly documented and should not have been a surprise...

Prerequisites

Before installing openmediavault make sure your hardware is supported.

• CPU: Any x86-64 or ARM compatible processor
    • RAM: 1 GiB capacity
    • HDD:

• System Drive: min. 4 GiB capacity
      • Data Drive: capacity according to your needs

Note

The whole disc will be occupied by the system and swap space [1], so size doesn’t matter so much. Data storage on the system disc is not supported.

Installation

Before you begin:

• Check if your hardware is supported on the system requirements page.
    • Download an installation image file for your system. openmediavault provides ISO installers for x86 architecture and several preconfigured images for ARM devices.
    • Disconnect all harddisks except the future system drive. This way you avoid an accidental install on a storage drive (which will be configured after installation anyway).
  • Disconnect all harddisks except the future system drive. This way you avoid an accidental install on a storage drive (which will be configured after installation anyway).

I see.
    But I was not used to this unusual installation method different than usual Linux installations.
    But yes, one should indeed read the installation instructions (most people read it as much as they read EULA: they do not. #TLDR)

Whatever, I will not touch OpenMediaVault for now (I burned it onto a rewriteable DVD. Let's overwrite it.) I will just use a SMB server.
    I just needed it for one purpose anyway: Bypassing tedious MTP and USB OTG when transferring files from a mobile phone to free up space.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I see.But I was not used to this unusual installation method different than usual Linux installations.
    But yes, one should indeed read the installation instructions (most people read it as much as they read EULA: they do not. #TLDR)

Whatever, I will not touch OpenMediaVault for now (I burned it onto a rewriteable DVD. Let's overwrite it.) I will just use a SMB server.
    I just needed it for one purpose anyway: Bypassing tedious MTP and USB OTG when transferring files from a mobile phone to free up space.

To quote Bill Murray...

"People like Blood Sausage, people are morons".... If they don't read the documentation, that is their own fault.

Good luck in your ventures, I'm sure we'll all survive.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!