Windows 10 Build 1809 und OMV Shares sind in der Netzwerkumgebung verfügbar.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Don't take a quote, out of context, and ask a question that's already been answered in the full context. I've given an opinion, admitted as much, stated reasons and speculated. Beyond that, statements like "totally depends on the network", come with a nearly endless set of variables. There's no point in debating minutia - there are rules and exceptions in nearly any topic.

Windows has roughly 85% of the market desktop/laptop share, with WinXP being roughly 4% of the market. (That's amazing in itself.) With 10's of thousands of OMV users, even 4% of the overall number represents a large number of clients that need support.

With that noted, I wouldn't even propose to be an arbiter, telling Admin's what I think they need (LMB or other), in support of old clients and expensive peripherals. What they do, how they do it, and why, would be their choice.

Really, there's no debate here.
    There are two basic questions. First, is LMB harmful when not needed. That feeds into the second question of whether (or not) the LMB toggle switch should exist. With opinions given, that decision is @votdevs

• Don't take a quote, out of context, and ask a question that's already been answered in the full context.

Crazy. I still miss at least an idea why telling Samba to run with local master = yes would help with what. Or what the meaning of 'LBM support might be important, even crucial' should be. There is always a LMB when there are old Windows clients in the same broadcast domain. Why do you think telling Samba to force elections would help with what?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Crazy? (Funny you should mention that.) :)

Ok, let's review.

- For businesses and, to a lesser degree, individuals who are running outdated clients or networks, in support of custom, proprietary software and equipment (commercial camera equipment, "E size" plotters, large format printers, scanners, etc.), LBM support might be important, even crucial.

"LBM support "might" be important, even crucial."
    For old clients and peripherals, it might be. Since I'm not trying to run an NT based domain, I'm not using old clients and hardware, or trying to connect to older network peripherals, I don't know. (And you don't either. :) )
    Note that I used the phrase "might be important", not "is important". There's a difference between the two.

Second, did I mention Samba settings of any kind, anywhere in the above, or state that the LMB must to be the OMV server? No.

Parsing phrases and words, inferring meanings, etc., to make a point of some kind, has no relevance to the actual matter at hand. The question at hand, "yes or no" for the LMB toggle switch, will be answered by votdev.

• @flmaxey the TL;DR version of everything you wrote about the subject is 'I have no idea what setting local master = yes really does and how this »local master browser« stuff works in general'. Your opinions seem to be based on the strong feeling that this setting is needed for 'older clients' (or whatever -- you refuse to answer simple questions) while you still have no idea what really happens. How should expressing your feelings help solving technical issues?

If you really want to help get Windows XP Support Tools to utilize the browstat tool, then fire up your network sniffer, get a bunch of historical and current Windows versions and do a lot of testing, sniffing and reading (first you need to understand the protocol semantics since otherwise just the simple '12 minute issue' I mentioned already twice will prevent you from understanding anything since all this NBT browsing madness looks like voodoo and adjusting the wrong setting local master = yes seems like a solution in reality introducing a bunch of other problems as explained already multiple times here in this thread -- but getting into technical details is not for you since 'no point in debating minutia').

One more time: there is no such thing like "LBM support" (there is not even something called LBM) since with old Windows boxes being members of the same workgroup in the same collision domain they will elect an LMB anyway. The OMV checkbox 'local master browser' in OMV is not related to the existence of such a local master browser. It just adjusts a somewhat related Samba behavior forcing LMB elections (Samba might not even win as already explained multiple times). So again: why do you think preserving this setting is important? Of course valid answers might be 'no idea at all' or 'I fear change'.

• Offizieller Beitrag

@flmaxey the TL;DR version of everything you wrote about the subject is 'I have no idea what setting local master = yes really does and how this »local master browser« stuff works in general'.

And you make this statement based on what? Your exhaustive experience as a Windows admin (NT or other)? Or is it really based on "something you read on the internet somewhere" and your own personal opinions as to how it might have worked? :)
    Have you ever set up an NT domain (or a domain using 2003 server or prior)? I have and I believe @geaves has as well.

MS wouldn't have put the LMB feature in, back in the day, if it wasn't necessary. And before making unrelated statements about older "anachronistic" network operating systems, they're are plenty out there that are alive, and doing well.

But, again, none of this banter has anything to do with the questions asked:
    In current times "is LMB harmful" and "if the LMB button should be included in the GUI".

Hmmm... I'm asking myself why such discussions always tend to become emotional?

Since you asked the question:
    This may be come as a surprise to you (actually I tend to doubt that) but if you review the last few to several posts in this thread, you'd find that the actual question of maintaining or doing away with the LMB toggle switch has been completely lost, in yet another tkasier opinion side show. There's plenty of instances, to include your BTRFS proposal on github, where threads go onto completely unproductive tangents as tkaiser attempts to prove to everyone that their opinions are wrong.
    In the github thread, as you know, tkaiser posted 5 times in a row, then continued to post at least once or a few times thereafter in attempts to prove to all who continued to comment that they were wrong, or that their understanding of the finer nuances were flawed in some manner.

I'm not the emotional type and I suspect that that you're not either. But try to look at this from the prospective of other forum users or contributors; who wants to sniped by a "Moderator" who uses abrasive language and slings mud on others, for their opinions, indiscriminately and without consequence? As it was in this instance, he barges into threads after they're in progress, with personal opinions that are usually comprised of "no, no, it's not like that" and/or links to something he's read on the internet somewhere. As is evident in this thread, he has no concept of tact and doesn't have the patience or temperament to be a moderator. (This is his own assessment - not mine.) With the word "anger" used, if you're looking for "emotional content", you've found it.

Just a thought:
    Instead of putting an open question on the forum, or even github for that matter, it might be more productive to simply PM tkaiser for his opinion. While that might yield a narrow perspective, on any given topic, that approach might save forum users and contributors a bit of "wear and tear", and a whole lot of time.

• I've added the ability to disable WSD in OMV5. OMV4 will not support that because it requires more code than only 3 lines in a SLS file. See https://github.com/openmediava…5d6302b898c4b59c63541c874.

hi votdev, sorry to bother you again but i have tried to disable the wsdd.py implementation and failed.

so i have to ask before i get completely nuts ;)

am i right that i have to add OMV_WSD_ENABLED="NO" to /etc/default/openmediavault? bc i have tried this (and false, 0 , no) and wsdd.py always gets activated after samba restart...

so is there something i have missed or understood wrong?

• # omv-salt stage run prepare

is omv-salt already included into OMV4? last time i have read about omv-salt was as you have posted that it has been included into OMV5?

openmediavault:~# omv-salt deploy list
    -bash: omv-salt: Kommando nicht gefunden.

it doesn't get recognized also and i can't find it either.

• Offizieller Beitrag

is omv-salt already included into OMV4?

No.

If you don't want it running then just read this - Windows 10 Build 1809 und OMV Shares sind in der Netzwerkumgebung verfügbar.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• No.
    If you don't want it running then just read this - Windows 10 Build 1809 und OMV Shares sind in der Netzwerkumgebung verfügbar.

thx i know that, but masking the wsdd service will break the omv webinterface a little bit. after masking wsdd you can't change anything which is depending on samba bc of:

Code
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; systemctl enable 'wsdd' 2>&1' with exit code '1': Failed to enable unit: Unit file /etc/systemd/system/wsdd.service is masked.

If you quote my comment that OMV4 does not support the deactivation of wsdd, then I was assuming you are talking about OMV5.

damn thx okay back to my ugly hack...

• Hi

Hope someone can help and it turns out to be a simple issue. ive updated omv to the latest to see if it would resolve my issues, i can see the server openmediavault listed in network in my windows 10 v1809 laptop. but i cant access it or by \\server ip\ share it just get windows cannot access, error code 0x80070035 the network path was not found or 0x80004005 unspecified error.

any suggestions?

OMV 5 - 64 bit
    Dell T430, 16gb Ram, 5 x 3TB HDD Raid5, 1 x 120GB 2.5" SSD (OS)

• i cant access it or by \\server ip\ share it just get windows cannot access, error code 0x80070035 the network path was not found or 0x80004005 unspecified error

This thread here is about service propagation/location with Windows 10. If you can't even connect to OMV using 'server ip' then obviously something else must be wrong. For the 0x80070035 error Google suggest this https://merabheja.com/fix-wind…twork-path-was-not-found/

If you really think you're affected by service location problems your tools of choice are:

• net view /all executed on your Windows box
    • nslookup $openmediavault also executed on your Windows box

The first tool will provide the browse list (there should be always one regardless of the existence of an OMV server or whether there specific checkboxes are toggled or not). If you see your OMV share amongst it, then run the second command against the name and provide output of both tools here.

If you can't access your OMV box by IP most probably there's something running on your Windows box preventing it (malware, snake oil, whatever)

• This thread here is about service propagation/location with Windows 10. If you can't even connect to OMV using 'server ip' then obviously something else must be wrong. For the 0x80070035 error Google suggest this https://merabheja.com/fix-wind…twork-path-was-not-found/
    If you really think you're affected by service location problems your tools of choice are:

The first tool will provide the browse list (there should be always one regardless of the existence of an OMV server or whether there specific checkboxes are toggled or not). If you see your OMV share amongst it, then run the second command against the name and provide output of both tools here.

If you can't access your OMV box by IP most probably there's something running on your Windows box preventing it (malware, snake oil, whatever)

thanks will try this shortly.

Originally I couldn't see the server listed in network in windows 10 did all the updates listed in omv one was for the wsd once installed I had to cli restart this but this made omv appear in networks just can't access any of the shares.

OMV 5 - 64 bit

• This thread here is about service propagation/location with Windows 10. If you can't even connect to OMV using 'server ip' then obviously something else must be wrong. For the 0x80070035 error Google suggest this https://merabheja.com/fix-wind…twork-path-was-not-found/

ive done a rebuild of my laptop again and got a different error when trying to get to the share saying local policy was blocking, googling took me to https://www.techcrumble.net/20…thenticated-guest-access/

ive made the change and can now open the share.

OMV 5 - 64 bit

• You chose to 'Enable insecure guest logons' and now it works?

yes changing that policy setting now allows me access to the shares.

The shares are set to be guest only shares in omv.

Dont get why this has changed use to be able to just browse to the share.

OMV 5 - 64 bit

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!