WD Caviar Green 3TB, SMART, hdparm and LCC

• KM0201, if you wanted a backup you are better of this way. depending on how often you rsync this gives you a little time to restore deleted/overwritten files.

pierre, i would like someone to confirm this befor i post the bug report. could you do that?
    i would think -S has the higher priority aswell, because the command has only this one purpose. on the other hand -B is probably the newer command? i cant test it also because i have my system partition on the same drive as my data actually. having a vm running there aswell makes the drive not to go to sleep. (made me think of fight club now, lol)

• about what you wrote on the bugtracker

Zitat

sektion31, SMART monitoring and SMART enabled on drive are two different things.
    SMART monitoring involves SMART data collecting and logging (one activity is on the drive, the other on the OS).
    One could disable SMART monitoring and still want to be able to see its drives' temperature. Or he could disable SMART monitoring and just run a short offline test once a day and a long test once a month.

well if you control smartd with the SMART monitoring checkbox, it should not be in "Edit physical disk properties". to me this suggests that you disable the SMART feature itself. i think it would make more sense to put it in STORAGE -> SMART, because it isnt a disk property but an external monitor software.

if the monitoring was moved to smart, those settings could also benefit from it.

* general settings there could be renamed to something like: internal smart tests. (is this the same as a shorttest?)
    * both temperature monitoring and internal smart tests could be grayed out, if smart monitoring is disabled.

right now it is easy to have smart monitoring disabled (maybe by accident) and think temperature monitoring will alert you via email. which would not be the case.

what do you think? i might create a mockup and post it in the bugtracker. if devs aprove i might even code this, given a little time to understand EXT4JS and everything.

• Hi,

Zitat von "sektion31"

well if you control smartd with the SMART monitoring checkbox, it should not be in "Edit physical disk properties". to me this suggests that you disable the SMART feature itself. i think it would make more sense to put it in STORAGE -> SMART, because it isnt a disk property but an external monitor software.

I disagree on this point. SMART and automatic offline data collection are drives' features, not software's ones. Thus, it really should stick to the "Edit physical disk properties" form IMHO.
    As votdev said in the bug tracker, enabling/disabling SMART is not something every user should/want to play with. There should be no toggling of SMART available in the webgui.
    What could be added is:

• a small note stating that "SMART Monitoring" is "auto offline data collection" in the "Edit physical disk properties" form;
    • notes explaining what mean "Enable" and "Check interval" in the SMART "General Settings" fieldset.

That would be enough to disambiguate the settings meaning IMHO.

Zitat von "sektion31"

if the monitoring was moved to smart, those settings could also benefit from it.

* general settings there could be renamed to something like: internal smart tests. (is this the same as a shorttest?)
    * both temperature monitoring and internal smart tests could be grayed out, if smart monitoring is disabled.

These are not internal SMART tests. The General settings apply to the SMART software stack (smartmontools), so the settings in that form are not on a per device basis, but for the whole system.

Zitat von "sektion31"

right now it is easy to have smart monitoring disabled (maybe by accident) and think temperature monitoring will alert you via email. which would not be the case.

I would agree on that point. But I've not dug deep in the SMART configuration generator (/usr/share/openmediavault/mkconf/smartmontools) enough.

Zitat von "sektion31"

what do you think? i might create a mockup and post it in the bugtracker. if devs aprove i might even code this, given a little time to understand EXT4JS and everything.

What I think doesn't weight... ;) I'm not an OMV dev myself. I you feel for it, then go for it.

I Hope I answered your questions.

Pierre

• hi pierre,

maybe this is all a question of perspectiv. but here is the way i see it:

i agree that there is no reason to disable the drive's smart feature. what disabling the checkbox in "Edit physical disk properties" does is something different though. It adds or deletes lines to /etc/smartd.conf. For example it adds the notification email address. For me this means it controls the softwarepart of smart.
    You are right that these lines also control automatic offline data collection, which can be interpreted as an physical disk property.
    Lets look at this feature in more detail:
    In the smart attribute list there is a column called "updated". It can have 2 possible values: Always and offline. Always means that the drive itself updates these if it's smart feature is enabled. Offline means that these values get updated only if "automatic offline tests" (which scans the drive every four hours for disk defects) are enabled. So i guess, it is a little bit more tricky where to assign this feature to. I would argue to assign it to the software side, because of the following reasons.

* it would allow the checkbox to be moved
    * other settings like temperature monitoring and power mode, which are saved in /etc/smartd.conf aswell, are already configured via storage -> smart.

Zitat

These are not internal SMART tests. The General settings apply to the SMART software stack (smartmontools), so the settings in that form are not on a per device basis, but for the whole system.

You are right on that. I thought this setting is about offline tests.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!