UEFI or Legacy

• OMV 4.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• UEFI or Legacy

Sorry if this was asked and answered. I couldn't find a search function anywhere on the top to do my own search for this answer.

Now that i'm comfortable with OMV, I want to do a new installation on my actual NAS box. It's a couple year old Dell i5 system that has UEFI enabled by default in the BIOS. My test machine that i've been using was older and only had legacy. Does it matter which one I use or should I go in to the BIOS and change from UEFI to legacy on my actual server before I do the installation?

Thanks...

Dolt, just saw the search box at the top. Don't know how I missed it. Sorry to waste forum space but i'd still like an answer if possible.
    • OMV will install on either (BIOS or UEFI). I have OMV on both types, that installed without a problem. However, based on what I've seen on the forum, UEFI installs seem to be most problematic.

I'd try it with the default setting first - UEFI. If OMV boots, great. If it doesn't, (and you drop into an initramfs prompt) set for "legacy" BIOS and try it again.
    • flyinjoe13 wrote:

Does it matter which one I use or should I go in to the BIOS and change from UEFI to legacy on my actual server before I do the installation?
      On an UEFI system you need to switch to 'Legacy' if you want to install directly OMV's ISO (the ISO doesn't support UEFI boot for reasons unknown to me). If you don't want this or your UEFI doesn't support legacy mode you need to install Debian 9 first and then OMV in a second step: UEFI boot manager: can't install OVM from a USB-stick on Apollo Lake mini-pc
      No more contributions to this project until 'alternative facts' (AKA ignorance/stupidity) are gone