OMV on odroid HC2 really slow, great discrepancy between reading and writing speed

• The first time I installed OMV 4 on my HC2 iw worked quite alright, I got speeds up to 80mbyte/sec and was quite content.
    But after a few days I somehow lost writing permissions without having changed a thing, so I installed everything from scratch (did a hard reset so to speak).
    Writing access has since been restored, but its incredibly slow. Writing speed is pretty much 22mbyte/sec, from the HDD (NTFS) and from the SDcard, where I created a partition with EXT4 file system, as well.
    Reading speed however is fine, about 95mbyte/sec.
    I checked the speed like this: sudo hdparm -tT --direct /dev/sda , and it was fine, 180 mbyte/sec, the normal speed of the HDD.
    Anyone has an idea what could be the reason for this behavior?

• NTFS

Why?

Writing speed is pretty much 22mbyte/sec, from the HDD (NTFS) and from the SDcard, where I created a partition with EXT4 file system, as well

Well, SD cards are limited to ~23 MB/s on this board and using NTFS ensures running into CPU bottlenecks. And using hdparm is always wrong since testing only read performance and this with an insufficient block size. Better provide iozone numbers with 1MB and 16MB block sizes:

Code
    cd /srv/your/mountpoint
    iozone -e -I -a -s 100M -r 1024k -r 16384k -i 0 -i 1
  • NTFS because I had used/still use the disk on windows, its half full, and I want to be able to continue using it on windows, as the HC2 still prooves to be really unreliable.

I testet the network performance with IPERF to and from the HC2, and have gotten really different results:

if the HC2 is the client, I get speeds like: 90.5 Mbits/sec,

and if the HC2 is the server: 802 Mbits/sec.

Why could that be?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The HC2 seems to be unreliable because you insist on NTFS?

The whole point of a NAS is so that you no longer need to move drives between computers. Instead you use the network. And that means that you can use ext4 on the OMV data drive and access it from your windows computers over the network.

And if you want to use the SD card as NAS storage you will be disappointed. You can expect it to be slow and severely limit the life of the SD card.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

• NTFS is not a POSIX compliant filesystem so issues are to be expected. Not just with permissions but you'll also run into troubles wrt encodings and metadata representation: Copy files internally via ssh allowed? and setup fileserver to be accessed via internet - NFS?

Moving a disk between client and server will always end up with problems if the client and server don't run exactly the same OS.

As per your iperf results I would do BASIC network troubleshooting first, that's replacing cables and switch ports and so on. Not following this thread any more now since

the HC2 still prooves to be really unreliable

• First of all, thank you, since the disk is running on ext4 its working alright, the speed is at a max of 112mbyte/sec. I was not at all aware that ntfs is no good with unix, since it "worked", and I was able to access it and so on.
    Thank you for setting me straight! :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!