Just another install problem....

• Following direction to a T.

Flashed card.
    Inserted card into Raspberry Pi 3 B+.
    Powered on Pi.
    Waiting.....
    After 30min still see the same output on the attached monitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Offizieller Beitrag

Following direction to a T.

What does that mean?

Did you test the SD card with h2testw?
    Did you confirm the hash (e.g. md5)?
    Did you use etcher to burn the (compressed) image to the SD card?
    Did you have internet connection during first boots?
    If everything is yes, try to do the process without display attached.

• Yes. Card works with normal raspbian image flashed and loads without issue.
    Yes. OMV image was flashed with etcher.
    Connection is hardwired and was connected prior to powering up the pi.
    Why does it matter whether a display is attached?
    I’m over an hour in now and there’s been no change in the displayed output.

• I hope so. It’s driving nuts seeing the videos of everyone just flying through the process like it’s nothing. Then I try to replicate their success and get nothing but roadblocks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm pretty convinced the SD card is bad. What else could it be?

Get a new card. A good card.

I've had a nice Transcend 16 GB card that hardly had been used fail on me. Never could figure out what was wrong with it, but it just wouldn't work. Tried with other cards and it worked fine. Both Class 10 Transcend and SanDisk A1.

• I'm pretty convinced the SD card is bad. What else could it be?

Get a new card. A good card.

I've had a nice Transcend 16 GB card that hardly had been used fail on me. Never could figure out what was wrong with it, but it just wouldn't work. Tried with other cards and it worked fine. Both Class 10 Transcend and SanDisk A1.

If they card was bad wouldn’t that mean it wouldn’t be able to run straight up raspbian? Which it does without issue.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just because a card will boot another OS, doesn't mean that it's good. (It might be that the other OS is small enough to where the error is outside of the install.) Starting with a new card of decent quality (no generic's) is a good idea. Further, without testing the image you downloaded, there's no way to know if the image is clean or corrupted.

If you're looking for the processes to check the downloaded image and for testing an SD-card, you'll find them here. -> Guide

BTW, since you're installing to an SBC
    When you get to Network, Interface , you'll have to click the "add" button, select Ethernet, and hit the drop down arrow on "select a device". (There's only one selection available.) Save it and confirm when the yellow banner pops up.

• MD5 matches.

Just tried with a brand new card and got the exact same result.

Would really love for someone to de able to shed some light on this for me.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If they card was bad wouldn’t that mean it wouldn’t be able to run straight up raspbian? Which it does without issue.

If it runs Rasbpian fine... why don't you just install OMV on top of Raspbian?

Problem solved.

• Zitat

If it runs Rasbpian fine... why don't you just install OMV on top of Raspbian?

Problem solved.

Because I’m absolutely shit with Linux especially the cli. I actually tried that first but didn’t really get anywhere. Can you point me to a relatively comprehensive walkthrough?

Zitat

By the way... are you using one of the ayufan images, or the official OMV image?

No. Don’t think so. Downloaded the raspberry pi image straight from the OMV sourceforge page.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yeah that was my mistake, ayufan doesn't do raspbian images.

• Offizieller Beitrag

(I'm going to assume you ran error tests on the SD-cards to eliminate that possibility. That's recommended, even if they're new.)

That leaves the hardware itself, or the power supply. You could try the PS for a smart phone, as a test. But, really, none of that makes any sense if another image (Raspbian) works. It seems to point to the OMV image itself but that doesn't make sense either. Here's the thing to note in that regard; the OMV R-PI image is downloaded a couple thousand times a week. If something was wrong with it, this forum would light up.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________

I've built the R-PI image today, some hours ago in fact, while testing something else. While I have an R-PI 2B (not a 3B+), that shouldn't matter if something is truly wrong with the image. My MD5 is: ff27e253c86abdcd51c533d4841d3ded
    _____________________________________________________________________________________

Here's what you might consider:
    Try building without a monitor connection. Why? Obviously the R-PI is interacting with the monitor over the HDMI port (that's one factor) and powering the HDMI port might be pushing a weak PS over the edge.

After burning the image with Etcher, I insert the card, connect to wired Ethernet, power up the R-PI, and walk away for an hour. When I get back, I check my router to see which IP address was assigned to the R-PI (by DHCP) and use that address to open OMV's web page. It won't hurt to try it this way.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!