Disk missing after SMB configuration, copy from disk

• Hi All,

I have a bit of a strange behavior with OMV 4.1.3 . I use an old acer M1610 machine, with one 2.5" 80 GB hd for OMV and a WD Red 2Tb as storage.

I installed OMV and configured SMB with a shared folder on the WD Red. Disk is present in the section, file system present and mounted. SMB can be seen from a Windows machine. I did a test and copied a 4Gb file on it, all good.

When trying to copy the file, it does start the copy process and copies like 20mb of the file then stops. After that the disk disappears from OMV and file system is missing.

After a reboot of the system the disk is again present and file system is there.

To mention, the 2Tb is not seen on the bios but if I try to select the boot device it is seen in the boot order and can be selected.

My concern: - is this a bug in OMV? My PSU on the machine is 250W and only those two drives? Is WD underpowered and when I copy it maxs out on power?

Thank for your help.

• Is WD underpowered and when I copy it maxs out on power?

Only you can answer such questions by looking into the logs and doing some tests :)

If you repeat your test and the disk disappears again, log into your OMV host via SSH and provide output from dmesg (using an online pasteboard service like pastebin.com).

Then to test whether the issue is related to disk activity you could install stress-ng, then run stress-ng --hdd 1 after changing your working dir to the disk's mount point:

Code
    sudo apt install stress-ng
    df
    cd /srv/your/mountpoint
    stress-ng --hdd 1

(the df command will tell you where the disk is mounted, then use this path with the subsequent cd command).

• Thanks a lot.
    Will give this a shot tonight. I also have a 3Tb wd red to compare against, I'll install it and run the same process and see if the result is the same. This way I can rule out the disk and it for warranty if need be.

I'll get back with the results.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!