Windows 10 Network Discovery

• Offizieller Beitrag

I know that W10 has been a PIA for a number of users in respect of shares both visible and being able to connect to due various settings not being enabled.

Well it could be that a recent MS update has turned off Network Discovery! one of the options that requires to enabled.

I have never had a problem connecting to OMV shares from my W10 workstation, until today when a message came up telling me to turn on Network Discovery in the Network and Sharing Centre. Considering I have never turned this off since I enabled it quite some ago I can only surmise that this may have had something to do with KB4489868 the latest cumulative update in March.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Interesting....

I have yet to notice this. Is it just a matter of (re)selecting "turn on Networking Discovery" ? Or does it affect access by IP address (mapped drives and short cuts) ?

It's also interesting that this loosely coincides with a bit of code that would make it possible for Linux servers to be discovered by Win10 platforms.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have yet to notice this. Is it just a matter of (re)selecting "turn on Networking Discovery" ?

Yep, that's all I did, it's just there was no other explanation as I have installed nothing in 2019, but the other odd thing is, "an app default was reset", this seems go in a loop and just pops up in notifications, this can be fixed, but again this only started after the recent cumulative update.

Yes, I saw that reference to WSD, for me I would disable it, I've not had any issues with accessing OMV shares on W10 (64 or 32) and I have reinstalled my laptop more than once :) even my daughters laptop which is set up for her works domain can see the shares, and that's a brand new W10 Pro x64 :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

The above has affected the rest of the W10 machines on the network, not only has Network Discovery been turned off but Function Discovery Resource Publication under services has been set to manual rather than automatic (delayed start) the later allows the computer to be published and therefore discovered, along with it's resources on the network.

• Offizieller Beitrag

While I only have one Win10 box, I haven't seen this yet. Maybe the update hasn't made it to my particular PC yet?

I've noticed, over the years, that M$ updates slowly filter out over time.

In other areas, with the fix to workgroup names out, the WSDD addition to OMV works well enough. All OMV boxes are visible under Win10's network view.

• Offizieller Beitrag

In other areas, with the fix to workgroup names out, the WSDD addition to OMV works well enough. All OMV boxes are visible under Win10's network view.

That's been a bonus as I don't have to locate OMV and pin it to quick access, new router running Ok, particularly as I can add my own dns server :thumbup:

• This feature is automatically turned on when you're connected to private networks like the one in your home or workplace. Network discovery is turned off when you're connected to public networks that should not be trusted and you do not allow your PC to be discoverable on those networks. But some users deactivate them to make their operating system faster

• chente

Hat das Thema geschlossen.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!