Using 3rd partition on mmcblk0 for root?

• I'm not sure, if this is the right forum but I'll give it a try...

My root-partition is quite full (about 88%)

I'm using a 16GB card so there is - according to readme.txt from the OMV4-images a 3rd partition with the remaining space:

Does it make sense to use the remaining space (mmcblk0p3) for the root-partiton (mmcblk0p2)? If yes, how can I extend the root-partition with the remaining space of mmcblk0p3? Or maybe just use another 4 GB of mmcblk0p3 for root?

Thank you for hints!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The way I would do it:

Remove the SD card and insert it into my Linux laptop with a SD card reader.

Start gparted.

Delete the third partition.

Resize the second partition.

But if you really need to do this you are doing something wrong. Seriously. You shouldn't need a bigger rootfs. Use the hdd instead!

Edit: How come your rootfs is so small? It usually is about 7GB. So it might make sense to increase it? I typically use 1GB of 7GB.

• Thanks @Adoby for your quick reply - I was just wondering because I've never had that usage of my rootfs. Recently I installed mariadb + nextcloud in a docker and installed this new 4 TB hdd. How can I find out what's using my rootfs?
    On the other side, what's the best way to use the remaining 3rd partition for?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Since your rootfs is so small I would delete the third partition and expand the rootfs.

I assume that you use the default settings for the docker base path. /var/lib/docker. I strongly suspect that the docker images takes up a few GB.

There is another thread here tonight about moving the docker base path to the hdd. That should free up some space.

Edit. Yes, your screen dump confirms it.

See:

Missing space on boot drive...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe this output from df -h gives a hint what's using my rootfs?

sorry for "silly" questions, I'm not yet really familiar with raspberry/linux (but working on it) :thumbup:

Your issue is right in that pic.. docker is filling up your root partition.

Solution is in this thread

Missing space on boot drive...

(Edit:. I see someone else already posted said link.. that thread should guide you to fixing this)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!