Which Raid and Filesystem should I choose

• Which Raid and Filesystem to choose for adding disks later on, seeing them as one big folder and having one parity drive?
    I'm building a home nas with Omv (great software, everybody is talking about freenas so I'm happy to found this free and awesome OS) and I'd like to let my storage grow from time to time. Right now I have some small Hdds lying around (360Gb) and I don't just wanna throw them away so maybe there is a way to integrate them. I also have bought a 4Tb WD Red to get started. Now I'm waiting for some discounts (maybe on world backup day) to get one or two more. After a few days of research I'm not one step closer for choosing the right system, just a hell more confused. Omv's Raid 5, Snapraid, Zfs Z1 Raid...
    Isn't there a "simple" way for combining a few Hdds, expanding the Raid later on, using different disk sizes and having a 1 disk parity?

Furthermore there are a few SSD's waiting to get used, can I use them as a cache?
    Found no good solution on the internet, but everyone is creating his own 10Gbit home network nowadays (including me for no good reason except watching those crazy fast file transfers) and if you don't wanna get a big Raid or spend your pension on 128GB Ecc Ram you can't not really use the fast connection. SSD's became so cheap the last month, just think about spending 30€ on a 250GB drive and getting a write speed of 500Mbs to 600Mbs on your NAS.
    And it's not like theiy are just build for a few reads and writes, they will withstand the few monthly filetransfers to and from the nas (approximately 5 years in my case) and if they die it shouldn't be that difficult to just get a new one .

Thanks for all your answers, I have high hopes in the OMV Community finding a great solution.
    Over and out

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A5010 mit Tapatalk

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!