OMV keeps disappearing from network--only restart will reconnect

• After restarting NAS computer, within a day or two, OMV is unreachable--IP address cannot be found; therefore web GUI is inoperable. Currently, OMV's IP address is within the range of DHCP of the router, although this was happening previously as well, with an address outside the router's DHCP. It works fine for a while, then disappears from the Network. I will soon try a major reinstall (will try again to install ver. 4.0., and if that does not work, I'll reinstall 3.0--which I had to do the last time.) However, I would appreciate any thoughts about where I should suspect the problem to be. I suppose it could be the router, although the router does not drop any other device in this way. I also wonder if it is a faulty onboard LAN controller on the motherboard. I do have a PCI LAN card that I could install to see if that makes a difference (and disable the onboard controller). But before I do anything, I am wondering if anyone has any clue what is likely to cause this.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Most likely the fault is in your network config. Other devices with colliding IP and so on.

Try to use only DHCP and only assigned static leases in the router. Don't set any static IP in a device or server, only in the router.

• Try to use only DHCP and only assigned static leases in the router. Don't set any static IP in a device or server, only in the router.

Not sure I understand. OMV is usually recomended to set a static IP address. In fact, I think that is the only way it can be set up. I don't recall a way to tell OMV to ask for DHCP. Also, if I give my router a range for DHCP--say 2 to 50, can I then assign a static IP in the router for outside that range? As a recall, my router (or maybe it was a previous one I owned) would not let me assign an IP address outside the DHCP range,

• OMV is usually recomended to set a static IP address. In fact, I think that is the only way it can be set up

Wrong. Works perfectly fine without fiddling around. Simply let the DHCP server do its job (since OMV will be always on the DHCP server will assign the same IP address anyway so there's not even the need to define a static DHCP assignment at the router).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not sure I understand. OMV is usually recomended to set a static IP address. In fact, I think that is the only way it can be set up. I don't recall a way to tell OMV to ask for DHCP. Also, if I give my router a range for DHCP--say 2 to 50, can I then assign a static IP in the router for outside that range? As a recall, my router (or maybe it was a previous one I owned) would not let me assign an IP address outside the DHCP range,

I suspect that you have devices that use conflicting IP adresses. By centralizing the management of all IP adresses to the router you can eliminate that problem. You don't need to use the router like this. But you need to make sure you don't use conflicting IP numbers in your network. Using the functions of the router is a good way to centrally manage all the IP numbers. Just don't forget to save a printout now and then...

OMV works perfectly fine with DHCP. That is how I use it. And if you have a modern router with DHCP it may even support host names. Then you can forget all about IP numbers and just use the host names.

If your router doesn't support static leases then you might consider getting a new router or running a SBC as an advanced DHCP-server in your network. Perhaps combined with pi-hole?

• I don't think I have conflicting IP addresses, and I do manage the IP addresses to most devices. My router shows a list of dynamic DHCP clients (all the addresses are different, but the NAS does not show up here.) I also have a DHCP Reservation list, where I have stablized the addresses of my most essential computers and network printer.

I still hope to find time to reinstall OMV and will try using OMV4. I'm currently using OMV3, because 4 would not install the first time I tried to do it. Seemed like some kind of hardware conflict on that machine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You don't "think" that you don't have conflicting IP adresses. Either you KNOW for sure or you don't. If you don't KNOW for sure, then you are likely to have conflicting IP adresses. The only way to KNOW is to scan the network (nmap) and/or check each and every device. Or centralize IP management, for instance to the DHCP server...

If you use faulty/bad hardware you can't expect to get a stable NAS if you install OMV on it. But that is pretty obvious, isn't it? It would have been helpful if you told us that the hardware you use isn't working OK.

The easiest/fastest/most expensive way to fix a bad system is to completely replace it... And then perhaps use some of the old system for spares, after careful testing of each individual part in a new working system.

The hardest/slowest/cheapest way to fix a bad system is to figure out what exactly is wrong with it and fix exactly that. Perhaps use a better power cable, remove dust, install new thermal paste between the cpu and the cooler, reseat expansion cards or memory, replace a bad network cable or use a replacement network card.

• Thanks for your suggestions, but I'm afraid you are really just shooting in the dark, like I am. There is nothing to indicate definitively where the problem is. I have no evidence that I am using faulty hardware, that is just conjecture. I generally check memory, etc. before a new installation. The initial install did not work on OMV4, and someone in the forum suggested I try using OMV3, which I did, and it did install.

It would be easy enough to install a different network card before trying to reinstall OMV. I will probably try that. But first, thanks for the suggestion on nmap. I will install nmap and check what it shows first. Central IP management is handled by the router, and I see no indication of a conflict in my list of DHCP devices.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!