Plex Update

• Offizieller Beitrag

What does it mean "Docker is the way to go"? Is Docker a replacement for the Repo in OMV-Extras?

Did you click on the link? It shows you how to setup docker and plex using the docker plugin from omv-extras. Docker is a replacement for some of the plugins not the omv-extras repo.

Can I use my "original" Plex database anyhow when moving to the Docker image installation for Plex (new)?

I'm sure you can but I don't use plex. So, someone else will have to answer that.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• "Docker is the way to go" mans that given the choice between manually installing a program, using an OMV plugin for the program, running the program in a docker, or not running it all, docker is the better choice.

Your existing Plex database can be used with Plex in a docker. It is referenced in the docker by the /config Host path Volumes and bind mounts section.Some suggestions though. Stop Plex and backup the database before removing the plugin. Be sure you are familiar with the concepts of permissions and ownership of files and directories. These must be consistent with the context that the docker runs as. This is by far the number one source of problems with dockers in general and Plex in particular.

Look in the Guides section of this forum. There are many that deal with this.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Hi everyone.
    I managed to show the latest versions of the plex server using the omv update tab.

following this post:
    https://forums.plex.tv/t/ubunt…rpm-repo-also-back/397834

I execute the following commands:

sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/downloads.plex.tv_repo_deb_dists_._public_InRelease

sudo apt update

sudo apt list --upgradable

From the omv website -> update management -> check

And that's it

"Docker is the way to go" mans that given the choice between manually installing a program, using an OMV plugin for the program, running the program in a docker, or not running it all, docker is the better choice.

unfortunately with docker I cannot enable the hwrdare encoding of the h265 format.

• thank you
    it was I was looking for
    I rum OMV as a VM on ESXi6 on an 8y old HP Microserver and I cannot properly run a 2ns emulation level
    So docker is out of my otions

• Offizieller Beitrag

I rum OMV as a VM on ESXi6 on an 8y old HP Microserver and I cannot properly run a 2ns emulation level
    So docker is out of my otions

What? I have no idea what you are talking about but I am quite sure you can run docker.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• No problem using docker to run Plex. It would take quite some time to build a docker-compose file to suit all your needs, but I am sure anyone can do it.

I was wondering how can I have a tab/link on the OMV left panel to PMS page?
    Or anyway to make a custom link on the OMV left panel?

You know we used to have a Plex menu page on the OMV panel if you use plex plug-in.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No problem using docker to run Plex. It would take quite some time to build a docker-compose file to suit all your needs, but I am sure anyone can do it.

While it wouldn't hurt, there is no need to use docker-compose.

I was wondering how can I have a tab/link on the OMV left panel to PMS page?
    Or anyway to make a custom link on the OMV left panel?

You would have to make a plugin and even then, the plugin would have to use an iframe (bad idea).

You know we used to have a Plex menu page on the OMV panel if you use plex plug-in.

A bookmark/favorite in your browser would work much better.

• If the solution to the Plex update problem is as easy as three commands as suggested by @thelasthope then why ain't it solved officially as a patch?

Would like to run it myself but I have very little time to fix any problems.

• Offizieller Beitrag

why ain't it solved officially as a patch?

What is supposed to be patched?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The Plex plugin I suppose. Why abandon a great plugin to OMV when there is a solution.

It definitely is not a great plugin and I wrote it. The solution you are referring to is a repo issue and not something the plugin should ever have to fix. The apt clean button in omv-extras would do this already. But this is still only a problem for the plugin. If you use docker, you could just update the image to get a new version. No repos to worry about.

• If you use docker, you could just update the image to get a new version.

It's even simpler than that, if the container is properly setup. All you have to do is restart the container when a new plex version is available and it will update automatically.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I, that video guide is right even for OMV on Raspberry PI or there is some difference?

Installation and Setup Videos - Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced

• I, i have some issue with plex server in docker (on raspberry pi3+): thumbnails are not generated for my pictures, they appear only after i open images. Thumbnails for video are not generated at all (even after i watched videos). When i open plex page there is again plugin update request.. Questions are:

1) why thumbnails are not automatically generated (even after libraries was analyzed many times)?
    2) How can i update plex server in docker?

See attached screenshot.

Before i used Plex standard plugin version and miniatures was ok..

• Offizieller Beitrag

2) How can i update plex server in docker?

The same way you update any docker - delete the image and pull a new one. This obviously doesn't work if you are using a very specific tag though. Pretty sure the docker video thread has info on this.

Before i used Plex standard plugin version and miniatures was ok..

The plex plugin didn't do anything magical to enable this.

• The same way you update any docker - delete the image and pull a new one. This obviously doesn't work if you are using a very specific tag though. Pretty sure the docker video thread has info on this.

If you are using a proper tag then all one has to do is restart the container.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you are using a proper tag then all one has to do is restart the container.

I guess it depends on the image and entrypoint script. I have used a few images that won't update with a restart.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!