Plex Update

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you can't even update libraries, then something else is going on. My first thought is a permission issue somewhere, but as I said I do not use Plex, so I can't be much help here

• If you can't even update libraries, then something else is going on. My first thought is a permission issue somewhere, but as I said I do not use Plex, so I can't be much help here

My mistake. i just removed a folder out of a library, updated, library, moved the folder back, updated library again and then it would detect it. First time I had that problem, so sorry about I brought that up. :)

• My mistake. i just removed a folder out of a library, updated, library, moved the folder back, updated library again and then it would detect it. First time I had that problem, so sorry about I brought that up. :)

This is called The Plex Dance ™

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Yesterday I managed to update the plex docker. I was looking around and just tried copying the URL in "Environment variables" from PLEX_DOWNLOAD and found out that the URL was outdated.. But I entered the right one "https://www.plex.tv/media-server-downloads/" and restarted the docker. Now I went from 1.14.X to 1.18X. As far as I can see, the old image contains the outdated URL and therefor I couldn't reach the download section.

• Yesterday I managed to update the plex docker. I was looking around and just tried copying the URL in "Environment variables" from PLEX_DOWNLOAD and found out that the URL was outdated.. But I entered the right one "https://www.plex.tv/media-server-downloads/" and restarted the docker. Now I went from 1.14.X to 1.18X. As far as I can see, the old image contains the outdated URL and therefor I couldn't reach the download section.

It looks like that URL is outdated as well. After much digging, the PLEX DOWNLOAD environment variable URL should be: https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server-new

Much hair pulling, but my docker is now updating to the latest version of Plex.

Is this old airplane safe to fly? How in the world do you think it got to be this old?

• I don't use Plex, but if you do what you were told earlier and looked at the docker info, you would know your pic shows where you went wrong. First, fix what you messed up. Where put "-e VERSION=latest" as an extra argument, is wrong. Delete that.
    Now, go here https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/plex/ , and look at the docker-compose section.

See that part that says "-e VERSION=docker"... Now scroll down to Parameters, and where it describes "-e VERSION=docker".. What's it say there... "Set whether to update plex or not - see Application Setup section."

That's not "wrong".

Using VERSION=docker will update Plex to the latest version that Docker has, but that's not necessarily the latest version of Plex.

Quite some time ago, I noticed that my Plex interface was telling me an update was available, so I first used VERSION=docker and it did not update. I then changed it to VERSION=latest and then Plex updated on the next boot.

Plex has not shown me that an update was available ever since then, so it's updating as updates become available.

Your mileage may vary.

• There's a difference between docker extra arguments and environment variables.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I never said it did... I was just pointing out that it was clear how to update Plex if you just read the page. However, putting an environment variable as an extra argument, is absolutely not right.

• I'd like to add this to the record as a frustrated noob that has finally got plex to update. I run OMV5 on an RPi 4, I followed TechnoDadLife's tutorial to install plex on docker using portainer. I changed two ENV Variables. VERSION=lastest, PLEX DOWNLOAD= https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server-new. I kept restarting to no avail until I recalled that TDL set's the restart policy to Unless stopped. My Plex container was not actually restarting. So I stopped it, and started it. and then it worked. Perhaps it was inattention to detail, but I hope this saves another from frustration. Much love

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'd like to add this to the record as a frustrated noob that has finally got plex to update. I run OMV5 on an RPi 4, I followed TechnoDadLife's tutorial to install plex on docker using portainer. I changed two ENV Variables. VERSION=lastest, PLEX DOWNLOAD= https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server-new. I kept restarting to no avail until I recalled that TDL set's the restart policy to Unless stopped. My Plex container was not actually restarting. So I stopped it, and started it. and then it worked. Perhaps it was inattention to detail, but I hope this saves another from frustration. Much love

Hmm. That's interesting. The restart policy, that's just telling plex what it should do if for some reason when the container stops. Always, of course means the container will always restart. Unless-Stopped, just means that the container will restart, unless you manually stop it. Never, just means the container will never restart when stopped, and will have to manually be started.

It would seem to me, from what you are saying, the update was not pulling when you restarted the container.. but if you stopped the container and then restarted it manually, it would (the restart policy would be more or less irrelevant).

• I never said it did... I was just pointing out that it was clear how to update Plex if you just read the page. However, putting an environment variable as an extra argument, is absolutely not right.

Then we'll have to agree to disagree about that point.

I had "-e VERSION=docker" and it did not update Plex after a number of machine restarts or container/image restarts. My Plex web interface still said an update was available. That's when I started digging for more info.

I don't remember now where I found the information to use that string "-e VERSION=latest" as an extra argument, but.... it worked.

Once I changed that to "-e VERSION=latest", on the next machine restart (or container restart, I forget which) it updated Plex.

I'm using OMV 4.x and the relevant Docker, not the Plex plugin in OMV extras, if that matters.

• Offizieller Beitrag

version=docker, just means whatever version of plex is current for the docker container you're using. It may or may not be the latest (linuxserver keeps things up pretty good, but may occasionally be a bit behind) version=latest, means the container will pull the latest version you are eligible for. This is all laid out in the container documentation I linked above. From reading the rest of the thread, it appears the Plex download link was not correct, and that also needed to be changed... once that was changed, Plex updated.

It's not really an agree to disagree thing, the documentation clearly supports what I'm saying, and not what you're saying. If it worked for you, then OK, but the documentation clearly lays out how to set this up.

• Got the same problem here.
    Installed plex yesterday via docker like in the Video.
    Everything works fine, but Plex still says there's an update available.

My log says:

# Update routine will not run because you havent set #
    # the VERSION variable or you opted out of updates. #

Version=lastest is set.
    Version installed is 1.18.4.2171, latest download for me is 1.18.5.2309

How can I get plex to update ?

• just wait until docker is updated, plex announces are early than updates on dockers.

wait 2 weeks to be sure or check the docker origen for the new version, once you are sure that docker have the latest version, update docker.

• But that's not what it should do.
    If I set VERSION=docker than it would be ok, but VERSION=latest means to download the latest available version (for me the latest plex-pass version)

IMPORTANT NOTE:- YOU CANNOT UPDATE TO A PLEXPASS ONLY (BETA) VERSION IF YOU ARE NOT LOGGED IN WITH A PLEXPASS ACCOUNT

• docker: Let Docker handle the Plex Version, we keep our Dockerhub Endpoint up to date with the latest public builds. This is the same as leaving this setting out of your create command.
    • latest: will update plex to the latest version available that you are entitled to.
    • public: will update plexpass users to the latest public version, useful for plexpass users that don't want to be on the bleeding edge but still want the latest public updates.
    • <specific-version>: will select a specific version (eg 0.9.12.4.1192-9a47d21) of plex to install, note you cannot use this to access plexpass versions if you do not have plexpass.

And I'm logged in with my plexpass account

• 1. The current version of the linuxserver.io docker,as can be seen on either linuxserver.io or within portainer is Linuxserver.io version:- 1.18.4.2171-ac2afe5f8-ls75 Build-date:- 2020-01-23T05:53:12+00:00

2. I am running this exact version of the docker image. However the version of Plex that is running inside the container is 1.18.6.2368 (a PlexPass version).

3. There is no Plex Media Server software bundled within the linuxserver.io docker images. Upon first use, the running container downloads the PMS software from Plex.tv and installs it into the container.

4. Updates to the Plex Media Server software are also downloaded from Plex.tv and installed into the container.

5. There is no requirement to perform an update to the docker image in order to obtain an update to the Plex Media Server software.

--

• Ok, got it running.

error 1: I've entered the variable "Version", not "VERSION" ||

error 2: had a "/" behind the downloadpath, so it tried to download ""https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server-new//1.18.6.2368-97add474d/debian/plexmediaserver_1.18.6.2368-97add474d_amd64.deb"

now it's running on version 1.18.6.2368

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!