Plex Update

• Hi,
    since the Plex Media Server Plugin seems to be dead and i don't want to switch over to Docker with my Plex installation, i'm looking for a way to update my current Plex installation to the latest Version.

What will be the best way to self maintain my PLex Installation without breaking anything?

Would it be that easy, i only have to add the official Plex Repo to my OMV Installation, like described here: https://support.plex.tv/articl…nux-server-distributions/

• Offizieller Beitrag

What will be the best way to self maintain my PLex Installation without breaking anything?

Would it be that easy, i only have to add the official Plex Repo to my OMV Installation, like described here: support.plex.tv/articles/23597…nux-server-distributions/

*** My comments below only apply to non-arm systems - use docker if you are on arm**

Following that plex guide is the best way. When you enable the plex repo in omv-extras, it add the repo pretty much the same as the guide. Updates will show up in the Updates tab when using either. Just don't install the plugin. apt-get install plexmediaserver is all you need to install the package.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hallo,
    ich habe ein Debian-Strech mit OMV 4.x neu am leufen.
    Nun erhalte ich per Webinterface vom Plexserver folgende Meldung:

Ein Plex Media Server Update für OMV-NAS-i7-4770 steht bereit! 1.15.2.793 Jetzt herunterladen - Diese Version überspringen

Nun ergibt sich für mich die Frage, sollte man dies aktualisieren, oder lieber warten bis es von den OMV-Extra selbst angeboten wird?

Oder macht es evtl. Sinn zu meinem Repository diese Zeilen noch mit einzufügen?

Code
    echo deb https://downloads.plex.tv/repo/deb public main | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/plexmediaserver.list

Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator

Hello,

i have a Debian-Strech with OMV 4.x new on run.
    Now I get the following message from the Plex server via web interface:

A Plex Media Server update for OMV-NAS-i7-4770 is ready! 1.15.2.793 Download now - Skip this version

Now the question arises for me, should one update this, or rather wait until it is offered by the OMV-Extra itself?

Or does it make sense to add these lines to my repository?

Code
    echo deb https://downloads.plex.tv/repo/deb public main | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/plexmediaserver.list
    • Offizieller Beitrag

until it is offered by the OMV-Extra itself?

omv-extras doesn't have any plex packages. omv-extras enables the official plex repo. So, if there is an update in the Updates tab, install that. Otherwise, you should wait until plex puts it in the repo.

Or does it make sense to add these lines to my repository?

Enabling the plex repo in omv-extras add that exact same repo.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I've updated it manually.
    1. Have Plex plugin installed.
    2. Go to https://www.plex.tv/media-serv…nloads/#plex-media-server and select platform from the 'Choose distribution' dropdown. I picked 'Ubuntu (16.04+) / Debian (8+) - Intel/AMD 64-bit' for an Intel CPU and copyed the link to the .deb file.
    3. Connect to OMV box via ssh (Putty or similar from Windows)
    4. Download the .deb file to a temporary folder on the NAS:
     cd /temp; wget https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server-new/1.15.2.793-782228f99/debian/plexmediaserver_1.15.2.793-782228f99_amd64.deb
    5. Update the package:
    sudo apt install ./plexmediaserver_1.15.2.793-782228f99_amd64.deb
    6. Remove the file:
    rm plexmediaserver_1.15.2.793-782228f99_amd64.deb

That is it.

• Hello,

Thanks i have now update this manually too.

But by install i get some "Error", is this bad?

• Offizieller Beitrag

i think there is no real repo inside

Not much I can do if Plex has taken the repo down. No idea if it will be back. Just another reason to use docker.

• Code
    https://downloads.plex.tv/repo/deb/ ./public main

It is the wrong Path
    Correct one is:

Code
    deb [url]https://downloads.plex.tv/repo/deb[/url] public main

To fix the Python problem just edit the weakref.py

• cd /usr/lib/python3.5/
    • nano weakref.py

replace new lines fixed it:

Code
    line 109: def remove(wr, selfref=ref(self)): [b]replace with:[/b] def remove(wr, selfref=ref(self), _atomic_removal=_remove_dead_weakref):

line 117: _remove_dead_weakref(d, wr.key) [b]replace with:[/b] _atomic_removal(d, wr.key)

@RazvanS
    Exactly what i did :)
    Working fine!

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is the wrong Path
    Correct one is:

They are the same repo. The extra ./ before public doesn't affect anything. Either one works.

• Hello @vcdwelt

The change was not a googd idea, after the next update i got more Error.
    So i change the Line back in weakref.py

Code
    line 109: def remove(wr, selfref=ref(self)):
    line 117: _remove_dead_weakref(d, wr.key)

but now the system is Bullshit X(

Hello @raulfg3

Zitat von @raulfg3

python error is not an error, please search forum for it, and found some workarrounds.

So this statement is by far the biggest bullshit I've ever read.

If I install from Debian Phython3.5 and then get OMV4.x and OMV-extra and then get this message it is an error from OMV4.x or OMV4-extra.......

I myself installed Debian Stable on one machine and Debian Buster on another and now have a NUC with Debian Buster and OMV5 as test and everywhere I get no Python error messages, so this is a bug :!::!::!:

Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator

• Offizieller Beitrag

So this statement is by far the biggest bullshit I've ever read.

It is not bullshit. What he is trying to tell you that while python is reporting an error, it will not cause any issues with OMV. This is python bug that has been mentioned many times on the forum but Debian has not fixed it in Debian 9. It is just an annoying message. https://forum.openmediavault.o…22805-OMV-4-Python-error/

I myself installed Debian Stable on one machine and Debian Buster on another and now have a NUC with Debian Buster and OMV5 as test and everywhere I get no Python error messages, so this is a bug

This means Debian has probably fixed it in Debian 10.

This line should replace the file that you were trying to edit with the actual python fix in their repo - crash omv-mkconf and omv-update which is much safer than editing by hand. Just remember that some python package updates will overwrite it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is the Plex plugin still OK to use please, as it's listed on OMV-extras but there's a post on Plex forums saying it's no longer maintained.

It might still work on amd64 and i386 systems but I'm done maintaining it. I didn't pull it from the repos because I figured people would complain. Docker is the way to go - Installation and Setup Videos - Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced

• It might still work on amd64 and i386 systems but I'm done maintaining it. I didn't pull it from the repos because I figured people would complain. Docker is the way to go - Installation and Setup Videos - Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced

Is there any way to migrate an existing Plex plugin installation to a dockerized installation? The linked video doesn't really cover that. Obviously my media is safe but I've spent a lot of time picking cover art and what not I would hate to lose all that work.

• Is there any way to migrate an existing Plex plugin installation to a dockerized installation? The linked video doesn't really cover that. Obviously my media is safe but I've spent a lot of time picking cover art and what not I would hate to lose all that work.

There is no difficulty in migrating an existing Plex plugin installation to docker. But doing so requires a basic understanding of Docker principles with an emphasis on filesystem ownership and permissions that must be compatible with the running container.

For your particular concern, the container host path /config needs to point to your existing Plex Media Server Library location, and the docker MUST be able to read and write there.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• It might still work on amd64 and i386 systems but I'm done maintaining it. I didn't pull it from the repos because I figured people would complain. Docker is the way to go - Installation and Setup Videos - Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced

OK, I am not an expert in Linux, Debian, Openmediavault or anything else in this particular circumstance.
    I run OMV now in version 4 and recognized this Plex Update issue.
    What does it mean "Docker is the way to go"? Is Docker a replacement for the Repo in OMV-Extras?
    Can I use my "original" Plex database anyhow when moving to the Docker image installation for Plex (new)?
    And: Is there a step-for-step-guide for Dummies (like me)?
    Hope there is...

thanks

Dietmar

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!