URBackup Server NEWBIE

• Offizieller Beitrag

i have to find another setup that works for me so I wouldn't want you to spend time on this.

Ok, but it does work and I know how frustrating it can be, as for @TechnoDadLife he might not do a video on UrBackup, but I'm willing to help.
    I have UrBackup working on OMV4 but I don't automate I do everything from the client machine and it works, before I started using it fully I ran a test on a netbook including a restore and it worked. So now it's in full use.

• With the release of OMV 5 in the future I was looking to set up UrBackup in Docker. But the official docker image is only available for amd64 architecture. So I started reading about setting up docker images and container and started porting the image for ARM-architecture. It was a rocky road and took many hours, but finally its nearly done and also it might get into the official repo. And on the upside I am really learning a lot! But well its kind of a hobby.

If you dont want to spend the time its understandable. But if you want to take another try I'm also willing to help.

BTW:

Why, granted it's a learning curve but it's the same for all users, I spent hours last weekend trying to get Pi-Hole to work via Portainer, I don't need it I was just curious. Did it work, no, still don't know why but I've not given up on it yet.

What was the problem? I set up Pi-hole 2 weeks ago with Portainer and it worked fine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What was the problem? I set up Pi-hole 2 weeks ago with Portainer and it worked fine.

It was setup, I could at least login, it took me a number of tries to get resolved what I was doing wrong with the MacVlan, I then attempted to login from another machine only for it fail, a ping request was getting timed out as well. Quick look in the router and it was showing as disconnected on it's ip address, I think that happened after I added it to my routers dns settings, if I removed the entry it came back up....odd to say the least, considering I have a functioning Pi-Hole dns entry.
    For me this was just a test as I have Pi-Hole setup on a Raspberry Pi under Diet-Pi which works flawlessly.

• its been eating away at me all morning, so with a bottle of red (mid afternoon!) i reinstalled everything again (OMV5 etc etc) and managed to get the Morlan container working (didn't follow Stack instructions but just set up it via add a container). I was able to get to the urBackup web interface.

But I then deleted the UrBackup container as I wanted to re-do it and write a brief guide to share for other newbies. But now I am getting the Failed Image error again, so I think I shouldn't have deleted it but if someone can help as i seem to have a Docker Hub connection issue?

• yes! success i managed to get urbackup working by using another image, so am playing around with it. thanks to you/geaves for your help and patience.

one thing that I've noticed is that everytime i do a backup to my specified folder, it creates a datetime stamp folder which is fine. however, when i try to access that folder through my network on file explorer, it says i do not have any permission.

so i went my OMV control panel, shared folders, select the folder, click ACL and at the bottom select 'Apply permissions to file and subfolders', click apply. This seems to work and then I have access to the datetime stamp sub folder.

but when I do another backup to this folder, i lose permissions again. when I go back to the ACL setting the 'Apply permissions to file and subfolders' is switched off rather than on - have i done this correctly?

• That's why my images have the uid/gid options. To avoid permission problems on the host. If all works out the images on my repo should be ready tomorrow.

Which image did you use?

I did re-try yours last night but was getting a manifest issue, so I ended up getting axemann working. on this image i did manually set up the uid/gid settings.

• The repo and manifest should be working again. Would you care to test it out? Best would be with the provided stack. Because the Readme does not have the puid /pgid setting yet.

ok will test it out. just so I'm entirely clear the /var/urbackup this should relates to all the config etc files, so i can create a separate folder on my drive whereas /backups is the actual folders/system image so i should have thos in a separate folder?

• I tried and it was giving me a manifest error, saying manifest unknown. I deployed it via the stack.

EDIT: sorry I removed the amd64 and it appears to have worked. so will do a system backup etc and report back.

• hi morlan - i did a backup and it seemed to work but everytime it creates a new backup datetime stamp folder and I lose permission access via windows explorer, so I try via ACL in OMV console to Apply permissions to subfolders and folder but when a new sub folder is created i dont have access - any suggestions?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!