Ignore existing files..

• I am rsync'ing my Movie directory to a backup OMV server. Everything is going fine but taking forever because of the large amount of data being sync'd. For the next time, I only want to sync what is new not the entire directory again. To do this do I add the '--ignore-existing' option in the Extra Options box?

I am pretty sure that's what I have to do but want to make sure so that I don't screw something up on either the server or the backup server by using a wrong command. Thanks...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am rsync'ing my Movie directory to a backup OMV server. Everything is going fine but taking forever because of the large amount of data being sync'd. For the next time, I only want to sync what is new not the entire directory again. To do this do I add the '--ignore-existing' option in the Extra Options box?

I am pretty sure that's what I have to do but want to make sure so that I don't screw something up on either the server or the backup server by using a wrong command. Thanks...

Are you using the plugin? That's how rsync works. After the first sync (which it has to sync everything, assuming it is going to a blank target).. After the first sync, it will only sync changes.

Just keep in mind if you rename "Folder A" to "Folder with Lots of Stuff" on the source... when the sync job runs, it's going to have both folders (and the content of those folders) on the target drive.. unless you have the "delete" option enabled. If the delete option is enabled, it would delete "Folder A" and it's underlying content, and then sync "Folder with Lots of Stuff" and then it's underlying content...

Hope that makes sense.

• I am using the Rsync option from the left side menu tree. I don't know if that's a plugin or not. It was always there from the time I installed OMV I think.

So if I understand you correctly, I don't have to worry about adding that extra option. Just wanted to make sure of that. Thanks for the info.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am using the Rsync option from the left side menu tree. I don't know if that's a plugin or not. It was always there from the time I installed OMV I think.

So if I understand you correctly, I don't have to worry about adding that extra option. Just wanted to make sure of that. Thanks for the info.I am using the Rsync option from the left side menu tree. I don't know if that's a plugin or not. It was always there from the time I installed OMV I think.

Correct.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So if I understand you correctly, I don't have to worry about adding that extra option.

AFAIK it is important to enable the archive option. Part of it is to preserve modification times. If not set you might end up rsyncing all files all the time.

• Offizieller Beitrag

AFAIK it is important to enable the archive option. Part of it is to preserve modification times. If not set you might end up rsyncing all files all the time.

I'm not in front of my NAS at the moment, but I've used rsync a lot, and if that's required, then it is enabled by default.. because I've honestly never changed a single setting on my rsync jobs from the defaults, except for when I schedules and when I enable/disable the delete trigger.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!