Installer screen corrupted video - kernel parameters?

• Hello OMV community.

I booted from USB, the latest 4 ver OMV available on Sourceforge.
    First splash screen with a list of selections is fine.
    Press enter on 'Install' and I get corrupted unreadable video.
    I'm guessing the dogged insistence on basing off Debian means OMV hardware support lags far behind the other mainstream distro's?

I tried inserting "--nomodeset" into the kernel parameters without success.
    Does anyone know what, if any, kernel parameters I can use to continue the installation without corrupted video?

Hardware:
    AMD Athlon 200GE CPU (Radeon Vega Igfx)
    ASUS A320M-E motherboard

Tested with:
    Ubuntu & derivatives - Works OOTB
    Fedora, Centos & derivatives - Works OOTB
    Debian - Fail

Please don't reply with vague generic advice, ad hom's or distro evangelising.
    Specific advice sought, if known.

Have a nice day.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm guessing the dogged insistence on basing off Debian means OMV hardware support lags far behind the other mainstream distro's?

The ISO uses the 4.9 kernel which I guess a bit behind others BUT as soon as you update after installation, you should get the 4.19 backports kernel which is ahead of most of the others.

I tried inserting "--nomodeset" into the kernel parameters without success.

Did you try fb=false or radeon.modeset=0 or radeon.blacklist=yes? Did you remove quiet? Did you try nomodeset without double dashes?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The ISO uses the 4.9 kernel which I guess a bit behind others BUT as soon as you update after installation, you should get the 4.19 backports kernel which is ahead of most of the others.

Did you try fb=false or radeon.modeset=0 or radeon.blacklist=yes? Did you remove quiet? Did you try nomodeset without double dashes?

Well there you go Evangelizing

• The ISO uses the 4.9 kernel which I guess a bit behind others BUT as soon as you update after installation, you should get the 4.19 backports kernel which is ahead of most of the others.

I can't get to the first page of the text mode installer so updating is moot.

Thank you for these kernel parameters to try. I will report back.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Since you seem a bit more contrite now, if you're truly having an issue because the kernel image on OMV the OMV ISO, you can download the current mini ISO for Debian Stretch, do a minimal install, and then install OMV on top of it. The official Debian ISO's are updated frequently. For instance, the current Netinst image, which you'd want to use.. was published on 2/16/19, the current OMV ISO was pushed out in March of '18.

Install OMV4 on Debian 9 (Stretch)

• Since you seem a bit more contrite now, if you're truly having an issue because the kernel image on OMV the OMV ISO, you can download the current mini ISO for Debian Stretch, do a minimal install, and then install OMV on top of it. The official Debian ISO's are updated frequently. For instance, the current Netinst image, which you'd want to use.. was published on 2/16/19, the current OMV ISO was pushed out in March of '18.

Install OMV4 on Debian 9 (Stretch)

Contrite? Snort, yes even Debian make an effort to keep their install media more up to date.
    Thanks for the suggestion to just install Debian & then look at how to then 'install OMV on top of it'.
    I'll try the suggested kernel params first then think about the rigamarole of Debian + OMV. In the long run it may be the better option anyway..

Cheers

• Offizieller Beitrag

Contrite? Snort, yes even Debian make an effort to keep their install media more up to date.Thanks for the suggestion to just install Debian & then look at how to then 'install OMV on top of it'.
    I'll try the suggested kernel params first then think about the rigamarole of Debian + OMV. In the long run it may be the better option anyway..

Cheers

Debian has a large team of developers. OMV, save for ryecoaaron's efforts with omv-extras... is a 1 man show when it comes to writing the software. It's not practical for Volker to repack the ISO's every time there's a new kernel or point release. Debian on the other hand, it's quite practical due to the number of devs, etc.. and there's probably someone who's sole job, is to update and create ISO's.

Most people this is not an issue unless you are using extremely new hardware, as you are.

Sorry if that is to vague and generic for you.

• Debian has a large team of developers. OMV, save for ryecoaaron's efforts with omv-extras... is a 1 man show when it comes to writing the software. It's not practical for Volker to repack the ISO's every time there's a new kernel or point release. Debian on the other hand, it's quite practical due to the number of devs, etc.. and there's probably someone who's sole job, is to update and create ISO's.

Most people this is not an issue unless you are using extremely new hardware, as you are.

Sorry if that is to vague and generic for you.

unnecessary

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not quite true. You could boot Ubuntu and debootstrap the Debian install with 4.19 kernel - https://forum.openmediavault.o…lder-in-a-running-system/

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• The ISO uses the 4.9 kernel which I guess a bit behind others BUT as soon as you update after installation, you should get the 4.19 backports kernel which is ahead of most of the others.

Thank you for these kernel parameters to try. I will report back.

Code
    vga=normal

This parameter got me into the text mode installer.
    Thank you for your suggestions though.

[papercut] Once installed I erroneously got a message 'no network interface found'
    I was still able to log in as root then apt update && apt full-upgrade nevertheless... log out, dsconnect keyboard & monitor, reboot & log into the web interface from another PC.

[papercut] Unable to create a RAID array because they were not listed in the RAID create gui. I executed a 'Wipe' & magically they appeared.
    These disks were already prepared correctly & have been previously able to be RAID'ed from the command line with out problem on other OS's. Who knows why...

Thanks again for your courteous, helpful responses.

Cheers
    PW

• Offizieller Beitrag

Once installed I erroneously got a message 'no network interface found'

Problem #7 explains this - https://forum.openmediavault.o…tions-to-common-problems/

Unable to create a RAID array because they were not listed in the RAID create gui. I executed a 'Wipe' & magically they appeared.
    These disks were already prepared correctly & have been previously able to be RAID'ed from the command line with out problem on other OS's. Who knows why...

OMV is cautious about which drives it allows you to add to an array to prevent people from accidentally adding a drive to array and destroying their data.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!