Should I change my server name?

• Hi,

I've set up my OMV (third time's the charm!) and am following TDL's video and referring to the docs pages, but I have a few variations that make me wonder whether I should change some things.

In particular, I have a static I.P. address, with a domain name pointing to it.

I had to do a net install of Debian, because of my hardware's UEFI setup, and put my domain name in during the installation. I also gave my server a hostname. Should I change the hostname in OMV General Settings to agree with that? Also, should I put my domain name in the same page? (Home/system/network)

Additionally, I'd like to make a local static I.P. address, as the docs say that is best. If I set the static address in Home/system/network/interfaces, do I need to also make the IP address a reserved client on my router?

• I also gave my server a hostname. Should I change the hostname in OMV General Settings to agree with that?

Personally I have no experience which such a setup. But in general a host can have only one name in the network (in a standard configuration). So I would recommend to use the same name in the OMV settings.

If I set the static address in Home/system/network/interfaces, do I need to also make the IP address a reserved client on my router?

Routers have usually different address ranges for static IP and DHCP IP addresses. These ranges can be configured in the router settings. The IP address choosen for OMV must be in the address range reserved for static IPs.

But most modern routers have the availability to reserve always the same IP address also for DHCP clients. In this case you can configure OMV for DHCP but gets always the same IP address nevertheless.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• In particular, I have a static I.P. address, with a domain name pointing to it.

It would be helpful if you stated whether the static IP address with a domain name pointing to it is a public IP address and if so is that public IP address on the OMV machine.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I set the host name in OMV to nas# and domain to local. And no static ip.
    I set the host name in the router to nas# and reserved a static lease for 192.1.168.10# using the mac-adress of the NAS network card. The router runs dnsmasq.
    I set the name of the main OMV shared folder to nas#.

So I can access the share nas1 on nas0.
    And I can access the OMV GUI for nas0 at "http://nas0" (but not just nas0 (Firefox))
    I can ssh nas0
    I can ping nas0
    I can access nas0:8096 for emby on nas0 (Firefox)

And the same for nas1-nas4

The domain local is not needed/used in this setup, it seems. But shown in the GUI.

Everything is only on the LAN.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!