OMV stops in safe mode after dropping usb drives into powered hub

• So my OMV on a renegade board has been running fine while powering a 4tb usb hard drive. I am changing around how my plex system works and was adding a second self powered (seagate backup) drive with the plex videos to the renegade. To do this I attached a powered USB 3.0 hub by anker and put both the usb slim drive and usb powered drive on it. Now OMV is pausing the bootup sequence to maintain safe mode because the 4tb slim drive is failing to mount. The 4tb backup drive however mounts just fine (4tb slim drive is exf4, the backup drive is ntfs). If I used "systemctl default" to continue booting up and log into OMV I see that the backup drive is there and mounted, but the slim drive is there and NOT mounted.

At this point manually mounting the slim drive is fine, but this setup is in no shape for a headless operation. Despite removing the need for the renegade board to power the 4tb slim drive, it is now having issues mounting it on boot. Any ideas? From what I can tell in the wall of text, it is a time out error.

• Learn something new every day. After getting home from work I looked at the log again and saw it wasnt a time out, but an automatic fsck operation because it sensed improper data on the drive and something was causing the fsck operation to halt and fail. After manually running fsck and letting it to its thang, there is no longer any problems during startup. I am bummed that omv said nothing when I was mounting it, it is really hard to rely on this software in a headless state when something as little as data errors freezes up the entire boot process. I could not even ssh in.

• it is really hard to rely on this software in a headless state when something as little as data errors freezes up the entire boot process. I could not even ssh in.

Just for the record: 'this software' is called Debian/Linux. All OMV does here is adding the nofailparameter to fstab (where mounting happens) so unavailable disks should not delay/stop the booting process.

Obviously something serious was/is wrong on the new HDD. And adding drives behind an USB3 hub is simply asking for troubles in my personal opinion.

The Renegade as any other such 'USB only' SBC is fine sharing a single USB3 disk as long as a quality USB-to-SATA bridge is used and no cable/contact crappiness is involved.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!