Speed over Samba mount

• OMV 4.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Speed over Samba mount

Hello,
      I have installed OMV4 on an odroid.
      I also have an Ubuntu 18.04 as a server with a Raid.

I am surprised that the speed of the OMV 4 is fast. The Ubuntu system is slower and with bigger files copying from windows, I have to often retry to copy the total amount, because of upcoming windows errors.

What is different configured in OMV4. I know the extra options. But this do not solve all on the ubuntu system.

How can I make my ubuntu system working right ?

Thanks for helping.
      Stefan

The post was edited 1 time, last by stefluik ().

• meetthemeat wrote:

I found this
      forum.openmediavault.org/index…ing-Samba-for-more-speed/
      OMV4 on the ARM devices like ODROIDs uses a bunch of optimizations only partially related to the above smb.conf tuning. And the most important part is this here:

stefluik wrote:

with bigger files copying from windows, I have to often retry to copy the total amount, because of upcoming windows errors
      So there's a real problem not related to performance tunables but trouble also impacting performance negatively. This needs to be addresses (by checking logs on the server and performing some basic tests/benchmarks here and there). But without any details it's impossible to help.
    • Hello,
      thanks for response. I have made a Speedtest with LAN-SpeedTest from Totusoft.
      All drives mounted with 6Gb/s SATA.
      Here are the results:

odroid system is an hc1

Ubuntu system is an Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G630T @ 2.30GHz

what log-files do you need ?

Stefan
      Files
    • On the Ubuntu machine: Try without RAID, just a single newly ext4 formatted hard drive and with a fresh Ubuntu install without anything else installed. Less is more! Then try tweaking SMB/CIFS if the performance still is bad. Try tweaking IP packet sizes.
      OMV 4, 7 x ODROID HC2, 1 x ODROID HC1, 5 x 12TB, 1 x 8TB, 1 x 2TB SSHD, 1 x 500GB SSD, GbE, WiFi mesh
    • Source Code

1. Write Speed: 16,41 MBps
      2. Read Speed: 100,72 MBps
      3. ...
      4. Write Speed: 3,78 MBps
      5. Read Speed: 99,98 MBps
      Both write speeds are way too low. This is not a Samba issue but something more general. I would test with iperf3 (no storage influence) and Helios LanTest (testing a bunch of different stuff). And as usual looking at the problem from bottom to top is a good idea: that's network layer 1 (cabling and Switch) as first measure...
    • I made some tests with helios and iperf3.
      Images
      • odroid helios test.png

69.78 kB, 614×726, viewed 48 times
      • ubuntu raid helios test.png

73.56 kB, 614×726, viewed 40 times
      • ubuntu ext4 helios speedtest.png

68.45 kB, 614×726, viewed 42 times
      Files

The post was edited 2 times, last by stefluik ().

• stefluik wrote:

here are the tests with iperf -R.
      Clearly indicating you having a network problem:

Source Code

1. [ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 200 MBytes 168 Mbits/sec 0 sender
      2. ...
      3. [ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 253 MBytes 212 Mbits/sec 0 sender
      There's no point in looking at those lousy 212 Mbits/sec the ODROID achieves compared to the even more lousy 168 Mbits/sec of your Ubuntu box. All numbers are way too low and you need to search for the root cause (on network layer 1: cables, connectors, switch).

There is a real network problem but modern OS partially can mitigate such stuff. This is an interesting read on the strategies file managers of popular client OS implement and why synthetic benchmarks might show lower scores than e.g. Windows Explorer: helios.de/web/EN/support/TI/157.html
    • stefluik wrote:

what network problem do you think?
      No idea. Usual strategy in such situations is to replace layer 1 and layer 2 hardware until Gigabit Ethernet speeds are reported as exceeding 930 Mbits/sec. I've seem so many strange root causes for bad network performance (including a whole cabinet full of faked network cables or braindead QoS settings on switches trashing performance of everything except babbling -- called VoIP) that it's useless to speculate.

Exchange cables and switch(es) as first measure...

The post was edited 1 time, last by tkaiser ().