Howto check ip address?

• Hey,

I'm trying to setup NordVpn for my server, I followed their tutorial. Connected via the terminal, directly on the computer.

However now I can't check the IP on the machine. When I try to enter any command it just shows up as text, nothing happens if I press enter just a new row.

This is the tutorial: https://nordvpn.com/sv/tutorials/linux/openvpn/
    I tried to use the OpenVPN plugin but i could not get it working.

• Offizieller Beitrag

host myip.opendns.com resolver1.opendns.com

or if you have curl installed (assuming you are connected to the Internet, apt-get install curl)
     curl https://ipinfo.io/ip 

• host myip.opendns.com resolver1.opendns.com
    or if you have curl installed (assuming you are connected to the Internet, apt-get install curl)

How should i do it? It's impossible to do any command from terminal.

it's like the openvpn command is still running in the forground and sometimes spits out information, it seems to be connected but i want to be 100% sure. I uploaded a picture of how it looks.

• Are you putting all of your traffic through their VPN service or are you trying to just use it for your bittorrent client?

Author of Yacht

If you need help with it feel free to pm me here or on my discord.

DiscordDocker Hub Pulls

• host myip.opendns.com resolver1.opendns.com

How should i do it? It's impossible to do any command from terminal.

it's like the openvpn command is still running in the forground and sometimes spits out information, it seems to be connected but i want to be 100% sure. I uploaded a picture of how it looks.

• How should i do it? It's impossible to do any command from terminal.

Hit control+x to exit the openvpn command. You can run the command in the background by adding an & to the end of it.

Author of Yacht

DiscordDocker Hub Pulls

• Are you putting all of your traffic through their VPN service or are you trying to just use it for your bittorrent client?

I used terminal from the host pc that got openmediavault running.
    Just ran "
    sudo openvpn se131.nordvpn.com.udp.ovpn" This is my first linux based system so im not really sure. I would love to have it via the bittorrent client but usure how to do it.

Edit : @Myth3k okay i'll give it a go to run it in the background :)
    Edit2: I tried to run it with &, it works for the connect command. But then it asks for my login and after i type my email address it give unknown command. Tried with a & after as well but still same resulte.

Any way to run the whole command with the authentication too?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've never done this over locally on the console, but I'm assuming it would be the same. Why are you not using SSH? It would probably be considerably easier.... not to mention not needing a display, keyboard, etc. hooked up to your NAS. Not to mention it would be considerably easier to get help as rather than posting screen shots you could cut and paste from the terminal window.

From where you are now in the last Pic....

Cntrl C should kill your VPN connection you're trying right now.

When you're back at the prompt, apt-get install screen

Once that is done, type screen and hit enter. You'll get some message about screen, hit enter and you'll drop back to a command prompt again.

Run your VPN commands

Once the VPN commands are are running (where your pics indicate you are now)

Cntrl A then d to confirm, and it will exit screen and drop you back to the command prompt (but your VPN should still be running in the background).

Run one of the commands I put above to get your IP

• Offizieller Beitrag

By the way, I would second that if you're wanting to do this for torrenting, it would probably be way easier to do this w/ Docker (that's how I've got my torrent server set up with PIA)..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRgZ9oZQ7ds&t=

• Offizieller Beitrag

One thing also to keep in mind... unless you've properly set up a kill switch, but if/when you lose your connection to the VPN, you're just going to drop straight back to your unprotected connection. This can be an issue if you're not aware you've been disconnected and now you're downloading things on your actual connection.

• Okay thanks for the help so far :)

I got everything working it's just that i can't seem to select my old folders for the torrens. They just go to the incomplete folder in transmission. I have my HDD setup as

Series/SeriesName/season
    Movie/MovieName

But they just appear in
    Download/Incomplete

Edit: Would it be a good idea to just movie all my torrent to the download folder and setup my NAS share differntly so it just directs to there?

• Check out techno dad life on youtube. He has a great video on doing this:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Author of Yacht

DiscordDocker Hub Pulls

• Offizieller Beitrag

The save path, is the path you set to /downloads in the Container setup... You can change it to anything you want, but it's going to create subdirectories there (complete, incomplete, watch)... so I'm not sure mapping it directly to your Movies folder, is going to do what you want it to do.

Your best bet, since you've got SSH access now... is learn the mv command.

cd to your Torrents/complete folder.
    cd /path/to/Torrents/complete

then ls to see what is in the directory.
    If you have a file there (movie.mp4)... then the command would be:
    mv movie.mp4 /path/to/Movies_Folder

If you have directory there.. jsut cd into the directory, then move the file you want just like above.

• I ended up moving all my movies/series into the container folder & change my share settings so i can still access everything and also be seeding and auto download new stuff to the correct folder :)

Thanks for all the help btw, i could not have get this working without it :D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!