USB Backup - Backup doesn’t start automatically

• Hi

I noted that USB Backup plug in does not start automatically when I plug in the drive (I can see in HTOP no rsync starts).

When I manually start tasks for shared folders, I can see the rsync working, so it seems to work.

Any known error that may prevent the USB backup Plug-in from starting when the drive is attached? I assume the USB drive does not have to be mounted manually?

Thx!

daNick

OMV: 4.1.19-1
    HW: Athlon 200GE / Gigabyte Aorus M (B450) / 16 GB RAM
    Boot Drive: Kingston 240GB nVME
    Data Drives: 3 HDD

• I assume the USB drive does not have to be mounted manually?

Yes, it must be unmounted before. The USB backup plugin mounts the drive at the beginning and make a unmount at the end.

I had exactly the same behavior in the past. But I didn´t find a reason for this. It was solved after deleting and recreating the backup job at all.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• I was under the impression that usbbackup would continuously keep my shared folders synced with my external drive. It works fine manually, but that's it. If I keep the drive attached I it doesn't sync automatically. Am I doing something wrong? (I don't have the external drive mounted). Is there a way to do what I want to? In Windows I use an app called SyncBackFree that automatically syncs my PC's folders to my OMV shared folders.

• If I keep the drive attached I it doesn't sync automatically.

That´s the intended purpose. USBBackup does the backup job(s) one time when the drive is connected. Then the drive is mounted and after completion unmounted again. Then you can disconnect the drive. When you connect the drive the next time the process starts again.
    It is not intended to do a continous sync.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was under the impression that usbbackup would continuously keep my shared folders synced with my external drive.

You can setup rsync jobs for that. But for that you need to keep the drive mounted and connected to the server. OMV will complain if a mounted drive is missing.

The usbbackup plugin also uses rsync but adds the functionality as described by cabrio_leo

• rsync seems to be such a laborious and time consuming process. I did create an rsync script

Code
    rsync -ar --noatime --ignore-existing /sharedfolders/NAS1 /sharedfolders/BackupNAS/

Right now the source and destination are unchanged. I ran the script to see if it would quickly determine there were no new files and then quit. It's been running for hours and the load level is staying around 4.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is noatime supposed to do? I cannot find it on the man page or rsync.

Why don't you use the GUI of OMV to setup the rsync job?
    You can also specify a dry-run so you can check what is happening without actually copying files.

• What is noatime supposed to do? I cannot find it on the man page or rsync.

Why don't you use the GUI of OMV to setup the rsync job?
    You can also specify a dry-run so you can check what is happening without actually copying files.

noatime "do not alter atime when opening source files"

Maybe duplicati is what I need. I can schedule the backup of folders to run at a designated time every day from source folder to my external USB drive.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe duplicati is what I need. I can schedule the backup of folders to run at a designated time every day from source folder to my external USB drive.

You can do that with the rsync plugin.

Have a look at the user guide linked in my signature.

• You can do that with the rsync plugin.
    Have a look at the user guide linked in my signature.

Thanks for your help. That's a good tutorial on rsync. OK, so the rsync service basically creates a cron job? This is a cron job I came up with after doing some testing with rsync:

Code
    0 22 * * * /usr/sbin/rsync -raAX --update /sharedfolders/NAS2 /sharedfolders/BackupNAS/

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!