Virtual Network Interface taking over Physical interface? Ethtool? Very confused... [Resolved]

• Hi folks.

I've been tweaking bits of OMV for custom use and I came across something very strange I have never seen on other Linux distributions.

Say my primary interface to the router is :

ip : 192.168.1.2 static
    gateway : 192.168.1.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0

When creating a network of sfp+ NIC interface in OMV (From the web GUI control panel) with ip 192.168.1.3, it is connected to my router and acts as a Ethernet port.
    If I than try to ping or browse (or whatever else) to 192.168.1.3, it will work even though that port is NOT CONNECTED TO ANYTHING!

If I than try to connect that port on the NIC to a Netgear Switcher, nothing happens and the interface is not visible to the netgear switcher but still visible in LAN.

When I assign a different segment i.e. 192.168.10.1, it will act as a sfp+ port and the NIC can see.
    I noticed that this does not matter if it's a bond or a a single network. It will always appear in LAN if it's on the same network segment in this case 192.168.[1].~

So, my question is this :

1. WHAT is making the the ip address 192.168.1.3 that is assigned to a sfp+ port on the NIC re-assign it self onto the Ethernet port on the motherboard?
    2. HOW can I change this behavior?

My end goal here is to assign 192.168.1.3 and 192.168.1.4 to the sfp+ ports no the NIC to talk to the netgear switcher.

here are some info :

Code
    lspci | egrep -i --color 'network|ethernet'
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller 10-Gigabit X540-AT2 (rev 01)
    03:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller 10-Gigabit X540-AT2 (rev 01)
    82:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GbE SFP+ (rev 02)
    82:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GbE SFP+ (rev 02)
    82:00.2 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GbE SFP+ (rev 02)
    82:00.3 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GbE SFP+ (rev 02)

thanks is advance

• So, basically when two interfaces are on the same segment, no matter what port you have assigned it to it will give you access to the machine with that IP address on either ports.
    I found out that this is just a Linux thing... (or rather computers in general)

Anyway, case closed!!

This was rather a stupid question from a standpoint of someone who would think this is ordinary...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!